TOPIC:

Dormancy explained 12 years 3 months ago #3355

• Pinkham
  • Pinkham's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 62
Hi folks.
Here is a short-ish generalized post on dormancy of deciduous and most evergreen trees, how to do it correctly, and why it needs to be done.
first, trees need to rest at some point in the year.This is dormancy.
In order for a tree to go dormant properly it needs to be kept outside starting in late summer although keeping it outside all the time is optimal. As the days get shorter the tree starts to harden up the new growth and starts to retain sugars, carbs, and alcohol. This acts as an antifreeze and will help the tree survive through winter.Even when the soil is frozen, the tree isn't. This is a gradual process, not something that can be done in a few days. If you get a tree in winter and put it outside it will go in to shock...freeze and die.
deciduous trees can live inside for a year or so with the right care, but they will never thrive and will eventually die.Houses are too warm,too dry, and believe it or not, too dark for them.
In my opinion winter is a bad time to buy trees unless you get them from a nursery that has grown them outside and they are dormant. Anyone who sells a juniper and tells you it's an indoor tree is lying to you. many sites say they are both indoor and outdoor trees. that is just false. Again, they will survive for a year or so but will eventually die.
I don't know of any Junipers that have been grown as indoor trees that have survived for a long period of time.
This is my advice to any bonsai enthusiast.....
Before you get a tree do some research on how to care for that tree. Go to a reputable dealer or nursery and ask questions. Lots of questions. Make absolutely sure that you can give the tree the care it needs before you buy it. If you want an indoor tree get one. Don't get an outdoor tree and keep it inside.
If you received a tree as a gift, research that species of tree and care for it accordingly.
I could go on but I won't..for now. :)
I hope this helps.
Lance.
The following user(s) said Thank You: darkhorse

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re: Dormancy explained 12 years 3 months ago #3357

• Oscar
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thanks received: 291
Great post, totally agree with you.

Re: Dormancy explained 12 years 3 months ago #3361

• joncoh101
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Thanks received: 3
Great post Pinkham! Good info

Re: Dormancy explained 12 years 3 months ago #3375

• Pinkham
  • Pinkham's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 62
Thanks guys. There seems to be a little confusion on dormancy and how it works.
I hope this post helps clear it up for people.

Re: Dormancy explained 12 years 3 months ago #3378

• macguges
  • Thanks received: 0
When I first got my tree last week, I did not then understand how trees entered dormancy, and the instructions I received with my bonsai did not really adequately explain what I should expect. Retailers would be more responsible if they indicated how their trees had been kept.

• Page: