Bonsai forum

• Page:

TOPIC:

ID My Mystery Tree 12 years 3 months ago #3372

• Bensai
  • Bensai's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thanks received: 2
I'm usually good at tree ID - found this little beauty growing in the wild, and it is very beautiful. Nothing online seems to help me with it's ID. The foliage is very much almost identical to a young Eastern Red Cedar - but as you see in the pictures, it is deciduous! It isn't a Larch - because I am in Zone 8, and they do not do well here - plus it really doesn't look like a Larch. It grows very vigorously, and is very healthy. The trunk looks more like a hardwood than a conifer, which is weird. The new foliage is very bright green, and then turns to the beautiful red/bronze color you see. I have since styled it differently than these pictures, and it is really one of my favorite trees.

This message has attachments images.
Please log in or register to see it.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re: ID My Mystery Tree 12 years 3 months ago #3380

• Leslie
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 7
Hi Bensai...Wow, this one is certainly unusual. I have gone through 45 pages of Gymnosperm trees in my Field Guide of Trees of North America and it's just not in there. :huh: I see the similarity you mentioned to the young foliage of the Eastern Red Cedar. How long have you had this tree and how do you know it is deciduous, if I may ask? Could this be a tropcal or sub-tropical species possibly? It's got me stumped! :lol:

Re: ID My Mystery Tree 12 years 3 months ago #3384

• Pinkham
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 62
That is a great looking tree. I have absolutely no idea what it is. It looks like a redwood...kind of, could be a larch hybrid...weird. how long have you had it?

Re: ID My Mystery Tree 12 years 3 months ago #3397

• Bensai
I've had the tree for about 2 or 3 months. Found it in a wooded area growing along a path through the woods. The new foliage comes out green, and quickly turns to the bronze/orange/rust color that is so beautiful. It has the "spikes" along the branches just like a juniper, and the foliage is almost identical to a juniper or Eastern Red Cedar (juniper species) in juvenile stage. But the trunk is what really throws me. No spikes, no peeling like in a juniper, just a very pale gray and smooth trunk almost like a young maple or something. It's definitely not tropical - we have had sub-freezing weather lately and the thing responds with new growth - it loves the cold. It is one of my most vigorous trees - doesn't even seem to be dormant. It has produced lots of new growth through the winter. I have no idea - but it is one of my favorites.

Re: ID My Mystery Tree 12 years 3 months ago #3398

• Bensai
Perhaps it's not deciduous, but it definitely has a winter color. It hasn't dropped any foliage like deciduous trees do, but I'm thinking it's Spring/Summer color is green. I could be wrong. Some Junipers turn bronze in winter - but this definitely isn't a juniper. And the color is way more dramatic than any juniper I've ever seen.

• Page: