Bonsai forum

• Page:

TOPIC:

fertilizing 12 years 3 months ago #3394

• amitaba66
  • amitaba66's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thanks received: 0
Hi everyone, im new to bonzai, i have a Sageratia theezans,i have some low nitrogen feed but dont know how much to give it each feed, its soluble feed and has a 5ml spoon with it, any sugestions?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re: fertilizing 12 years 3 months ago #3400

• Leslie
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 7
Hi Amitaba66,
Wecome to the forum and to the ancient art of bonsai! :cheer:

Are there no directions for mixing the feed on the container? If not, I wouldn't use it. Also, feeding your tree can be quite challenging depending on where in the world you live (what climate type) and what season you are presently experiencing. Would you mind sharing that information please in order to help us help you more?

Here is a link with specific cultivation notes for the Sageretia theezans. www.bonsaiempire.com/tree-species/sageretia-theezans

Here is a link to information that will help you better understand the NPK of fertilization. www.bonsaiempire.com/care/fertilizing

If you have any other questions, this is the place to ask so jump right in! It's nice to meet you and I look forward to seeing you around the forum. :)

Re: fertilizing 12 years 3 months ago #3401

• Pinkham
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 62
Hi there.
just a few things...
Never fertilize a tree that is stressed or sick. only fertilize trees while they are actively growing.
Good luck on your journey :)

Re: fertilizing 12 years 3 months ago #3402

• amitaba66
Thankyou for your advice Leslie, i live in england where it is currently winter, but it has been a very mild one so far, the directions on the box say to dissolve to level measures of crystals in 5 litres of water, this would water every plant in our house! I have had some advice not to fertilize a tree that isnt in active growth (thankyou Pinkham) which i had read before but because of our winter being so mild i was worried this may have fooled the tree and it might still be growing.Would it be obvious to an untrained eye if it was in active growth?
I dont have any children but i think i know whats its like to be a parent because im constantly worrying about this little baby.

Re: fertilizing 12 years 3 months ago #3404

• Leslie
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 7
Thank you for your info, Amitaba. :) With regard to your fertilizer directions on the box...the 5 litres of water sounds like it may be for use in the garden? A good quality fertilizer will give directions for "garden" application and for "houseplant" or potted plant application. Your fertilizer should also contain "trace elements" or "micro-nutrients" necessary for a health-balanced tree.

When your tree is in active growth, it will be sprouting tiny, new, light-green leaves at the tips of the branches and a continuing cycle of these new leaves growing while other new leaves sprout will occur. Should this new growth stop in mid-action you will know that your tree has gone into "rest mode" or, a form of indoor dormancy. All indoor plants need this rest period which generally occurs during winter.

Controversially, some bonsai enthusiasts choose to continue to heavily fertilize their trees through the winter which forces them to continue growing without resting. Pruning will also activate new growth.

Happy parenting! :woohoo:

Re: fertilizing 12 years 3 months ago #3405

• amitaba66
Thankyou x

• Page: