Bonsai forum

• Page:

TOPIC:

Beginner Bonsaier 12 years 1 month ago #3916

• Wiseman84
  • Wiseman84's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thanks received: 1
Good morning,

I am brand new to gardening in general. I was talking to a friend and he spiked my interest to go out and try to grow a few trees of my own. I'm not really sure what the plans are for the trees size-wise and I am just learning about styling/potting and everything else that comes with it. I'm looking forward to diving in on a new hobby and hope to learn from all you experts out there.

The three trees I bought (please correct me if I'm wrong):

1. Pachira Aquatica (money tree)
2. Ficus Fig (unk species)
3. Unknown palm

The last two were bought at Home Depot. I tried looking at their website delrayplants.com but I'm a newbie and there are apparently a ton of different kinds of palm trees.

Lastly, what do you suggest I do going forward with the trees? Recommendations on soils/fertilizers/tools? Where do you guys go to purchase your materials?

As far as the fig, I think I should get a shallower pot to influence horizontal root growth. Pardon my fashionable price sticker!

Thanks,

Aaron

This message has attachments images.
Please log in or register to see it.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re: Beginner Bonsaier 12 years 1 month ago #3917

• leatherback
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 3654
Hi and welcome to the hobby.

two of three trees I can name offhand:

the palm is a cycad tree: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cycad
This plant is not suitable for bonsai as it only grows one set of leaves per year maximum and grows very slowly

The ficus is a Ficus Retusa, also commonly referred to as the bonsai ficus, due to the widespreak use for 'mall sai': Bonsai sold in home deco stores.

how to proceed.. in my opinion..
Before you continue on the bonsai path, take the time to get accustomed to growing trees. Bonsai are more dificult to keep than regular plants, and require much more attention. Once you have some experience keeping them alive,, condider further steps.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Youri1995, Wiseman84

Re: Beginner Bonsaier 12 years 1 month ago #3918

• Wiseman84
  • Wiseman84's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thanks received: 1
Appreciate the ID's. Agree on your approach as well. I look forward to seeing them grow and becoming more experienced. Thanks.

Re: Beginner Bonsaier 12 years 1 month ago #3927

• manofthetrees
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 193
howdy wiseman,
as LB stated the cycad is corrrect, but the plump rooted tree is a ginsing ficus,the last one with the twisted trunck looks to be a schefferla tree and is your best bet for a beginner bonsai.they root and reproduce with cuttings easly are fast growers and healthy plants take hard prunings well.let your trees get acustom to their new home and do some reaserch.the articles here are a great start.

the major downfall to new tree owners is watering.the soil must dry out between waterings.keeping the soil damp will rot the roots.
in my beginings being afraid of watering too much my trees would start to wilt ...after a good soaking watering they would come right back, so its better to have them too dry than too wet. best of luck

Re: Beginner Bonsaier 12 years 1 month ago #3930

• leatherback
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 3654

howdy wiseman,
as LB stated the cycad is corrrect, but the plump rooted tree is a ginsing ficus

Exactly: Common names Ginseng or Bonsai ficus, formally known as Ficus Retusa or Ficus Microcarpa var. nitida

plantcrazy.blogspot.com/2008/01/ficus-retusa-ginseng-ficus.html

Re: Beginner Bonsaier 12 years 1 month ago #3961

• manofthetrees
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 193
just learned somthing never knew that B) ...looks nothing like my retusa

• Page: