Bonsai forum

• Page:

TOPIC:

Chinese Elm 12 years 1 month ago #3932

• kickster10
  • kickster10's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thanks received: 0
Hello, my name is Tom. I'm new to your forum but I really need some help with my bonsai...

I bought a Chinese Elm(no age info). It went through a rough mail delivery(just my guess, but post delivery is never nice for the plant...). The plant is in a good state but some of the leaves started to become yellow. Every day it gets more and more of those and it scares me... It has a lot of new growth all over the brunches and even the trunk, so i guess it's not dying from thirst or any thing like that. I'm guessing that a lot of small brunches got damaged during the delivery but more and more yellow leaves appear every day...
I'm new to the bonsai, I have a Carmona microphylla one, but it's small and i never had any problems with it...
So if any one got any suggestions, or knows what is wrong with the Elm I would be really thank full for any kind of advices.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re: Chinese Elm 12 years 1 month ago #3935

• Pinkham
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 62
One reason for yellowing leaves is too much watering. Water it only when the soil is dry.
Put a chopstick in the soil for a few minutes, if it comes out damp, don't water. If it comes out clean...water it.
Can you post a picture so we can see if that's the problem?
Good luck.
Lance

Re: Chinese Elm 12 years 1 month ago #3936

• kickster10
  • kickster10's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thanks received: 0
It has alot of moss on top of the soil, so i can't really say by touching it but I will try the chop stick!
I tried to upload the pictures in my first post but for some reason it doesn't allow me. :(
I will try to upload them again tomorrow, don't have any spare time right now...
And thank you for the reply :)

Re: Chinese Elm 12 years 1 month ago #3938

• Pinkham
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 62
Take the moss off. Moss keeps the soil too damp.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Youri1995

Re: Chinese Elm 12 years 1 month ago #3941

• Youri1995
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 45
Most people keep moss on trees, but I only do it with trees in very small pots, because the soil dries out quickly and the moss keeps it wet for a longer time. As Pinkham already said, I would take the moss off ;)

• Page: