Bonsai forum

Help picking a first plant. . .

• Bonsai Boy
  • Offline Topic Author
  • Thanks received: 0

Help picking a first plant. . . was created by Bonsai Boy

Posted 12 years 9 months ago #422
I was interested in trying Bonsai, and was trying to figure out what I could grow. As I'm looking around, I'm finding that climate is a huge factor in choosing what plant you're going to grow.

The room I would have to grow the plant in has a window facing the sunset, so I'm looking at having several hours of direct sunlight, and having it in well-lit shade most of the day before that. I live in an area that has only two real seasons (rainy season and summer). Fair humidity in the "winter," low humidity in the summer. The temperature ranges from low 50ºF in the "winter" nights to 80ºs in the summer days (low to mid 100ºs outside).

I would like ideally to grow a bonsai rose bush, but as I understand, they're very hard to grow as normal plants, and I have very little control over the environment that the plant will be grown in. If I can't do the rose bush, I'd like to do some sort of vine or other plant (not a tree, I'm a bit of a rebel :P ).

Is there anyone that would be willing to give me any suggestions?

Thanks for your time. :)
by Bonsai Boy

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• manofthetrees
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 193

Replied by manofthetrees on topic Re: Help picking a first plant. . .

Posted 12 years 9 months ago #428
howdy,
well with the rose idea if you can locate a wild rose. my reasoning is that wild roses regrow on old branches usually standard roses have a degree of natural dieback,i have some in my yard that I was considering a go at,as for a vine i have seen English ivy done with amazing results you will have to do some research tho they have some odd pruning requirements and they take a long time to develope.in my opinion if you decide to go the traditional tree route try a ficus (fig) tree, there are tons of varieties and they develope quite quickly.
I commend you ambition to go against the normal.best of luck and keep us posted on your adventures
by manofthetrees

• Bonsai Boy
  • Offline Topic Author
  • Thanks received: 0

Replied by Bonsai Boy on topic Re: Help picking a first plant. . .

Posted 12 years 9 months ago #433
Thanks for the input. :lol:

How fast would a ficus grow. Unfortunately, I'm only going to have room for one tree (at least until I move, which may not be for a while).
by Bonsai Boy

• manofthetrees
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 193

Replied by manofthetrees on topic Re: Help picking a first plant. . .

Posted 12 years 9 months ago #437
well i have a ficus nutrifolia that is 8 inches tall in a 4 inch round pot and a ficus retusa that has 6 inch nebari.if you are pressed for space shohin style bonsai are small and comprise a majority of my collection. they grow relativly fast ive taken my larger one from a bush to a somewhat developed tree in a year check out the progresions topic they are both in there
by manofthetrees