Bonsai forum

A Challenging Beginning?...

• Pinkham
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 62

Replied by Pinkham on topic Re: A Challenging Beginning?...

Posted 12 years 9 months ago #536
This juniper needs to be outside. It was raised in Canada. It will survive for a year or so inside but it will eventually die. It needs to have a dormant period
here is a little information for you :)
Good luck.
betterbonsai.blogspot.com/2007/12/junipe...i-for-beginners.html
by Pinkham
The topic has been locked.
  • manofthetrees
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 193

Replied by manofthetrees on topic Re: A Challenging Beginning?...

Posted 12 years 9 months ago #537
do you have a patio or balconey ? it will do fine wintering there,a juniper is quite easy you just have to keep it out of the wind...my juni gets burried under feet of snow...the are very cold tolerant and will be fine frozen. the wind is the killer it pulls the moisture from the needles
by manofthetrees
  • Leslie
  • Offline Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 7

Replied by Leslie on topic Re: A Challenging Beginning?...

Posted 12 years 9 months ago #539
Hi Pinkham...you are right about this little Juniper needing to be outside. As I wrote in an earlier post, even tho this tree has been "treated", it is only temporary. Thanks for the great link you sent. There's a lot of good information there that confirms my decision to return the tree to the place I purchased it from. See earlier post. Thanks so much for your help. :)

Leslie
Last Edit:12 years 9 months ago by Leslie
Last edit: 12 years 9 months ago by Leslie. Reason: Tried to use "boardcode" but didn't do it right. Had to remove codes.
  • Leslie
  • Offline Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member

Posted 12 years 9 months ago #540
Hi manofthetrees,

Unfortunately I live in a third floor apartment with no balcony. Although I do have a couple of raised flower beds in the courtyard of the building I would be afraid of someone stealing it from my garden. Also I am physically challenged and I don't do well in the cold myself which is why I need an indoor Bonsai. Thank you however, for the suggestion and tips. :)

Leslie
by Leslie
  • BassandBonsai
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Thanks received: 0

Replied by BassandBonsai on topic Re: A Challenging Beginning?...

Posted 12 years 9 months ago #544
I have some aralias that I purchased as a group planting from Meijer, and they do really well indoors. I can't remember the exact # but I know it was 10 to 15 dollars. If you watch your local garden center and do your research, I'm sure you can find something suitable for indoors. Good luck. :)
by BassandBonsai
  • Leslie
  • Offline Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member

Posted 12 years 9 months ago #548
Hi BassandBonsai,

Thank you for the tip on the Aralias! I've written that down and will definitely look it up. Say...if it's not an inconvenience to you, would you mind sharing a photo? I would love to see your group planting!

We have several garden centres locally but only one that might carry the Aralias and in whom I would trust in their quality plants and honesty. If not, I've found a place that specializes in growing Bonsai and pre-Bonsai and they're in my Province about two and half hours drive from where I live...better yet, I can order from them online.

Research?...chuckle. I've done so much research in the past week my eyes are bugging out and my brain is experiencing extreme overload...but I luv it 'n I can't seem to stop!!! LOL! After my initial, major blunder ten days ago...my next choice will be an informed one. Thanks for your good wishes!

Leslie
by Leslie
  • BassandBonsai
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Thanks received: 0

Replied by BassandBonsai on topic Re: A Challenging Beginning?...

Posted 12 years 9 months ago #558
I know what you mean about the research... I put in my "bio" that I had a bunch of azalea seeds. That's because I fell for buying a bonsai "seed kit". I'll post all of my pics there, so I don't have to keep bouncing from forum to forum! It's reassuring to know I'm not the only one on a whirlwind bonsai trip, though!
by BassandBonsai
  • Leslie
  • Offline Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member

Posted 12 years 9 months ago #562
Thanks for 'fessin' up, Hannah. ;) You've made me feel more at home here. :P Your determination inspires me!

*NEWS FLASH* to all those who have offered their help and suggestions here in my topic. My little Juniper Bonsai is now back at the garden centre where I initially got her. :( However, I made sure I *educated* a couple of the staff there about the realities of "indoor" verses "outdoor" and the impermanence of trees that are so called *treated*. ...sigh...

Not to fear, I am not at all discouraged. If anything I'm more determined AND I am educating myself! :lol:

Leslie
by Leslie