TOPIC:

Where Do I Begin? 12 years 9 months ago #506

• Leslie
  • Leslie's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 7
Dear Bonsai Friends,

Now that I have my very first, new baby Bonsai home, what do I do now? I have so many questions because I'm a new to the art of Bonsai. I bought this little Juniper Bonsai tree *Procumbens "Nana"* just five days ago from a local nursery who told me it is an indoor plant. I am waiting for confirmation of this from the company who grows them and well as from another website. In the meantime I will treat it as an indoor plant.

So, what is my first step? From what I have read here on the forum and website it may too late in the season (early summer in Southern Canada) to repot my new Bonsai, yes? It is about 5" high from the base of the root mound to the bend in the tree. You can view some photos here: www.bonsaiempire.com/forum/help-me/463-a-challenging-beginning . As you can see it is in a small bonsai dish. Should I gently remove the tree from the dish to see whether or not it is root-bound? Should I be doing any pinching off of tips or new shoots (see new shoot in last photo at the base of the trunk)? Do I begin fertilizing it?...if so, how soon after bringing it home?

When the time is right, I would like to focus on thickening the trunk and roots. I believe this will require a bigger pot, right? Again, will this have to wait until next Spring? I have searched the forum and website however, there doesn't seem to be any specific information for the new beginner on what to do when bringing home the first, new Bonsai tree. If I have missed it somewhere, please feel free to direct me through a link. Any advice and guidance will be greatly appreciated. Thank you!:)

Leslie

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re: Where Do I Begin? 12 years 9 months ago #611

• manofthetrees
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 193
howdy leslie,

well it is so hard to give advice on this stuff. im sure you have a picture of what you want in your head and you look at your young little tree and its just that, but the good thing is,is that it's yours to do what you like and shape however you want.bonsai takes years, decades and sometimes centuries to evolve.
even now i have to stop myself i always want to poke around bend this branch a little more prune that one a little farther :pinch: :blink: i think thats why ive gone from 2 to almost 20 trees in 3 years.
you have a healthy tree it seems to have a ton of new growth it has been slightly trained.i would leave it in its pot and gear it towards a smaller sized bonsai it will get bigger in time.expierament pinch a few ends off (hold w/ one hand pinch w/ thumb and 1st finger no scissors ) buy a bit of wire and try that too.the only way to learn is to try and see what happens.
if you want a bigger juni buy one from a nursery. nursery stock is much cheaper and there is alot more stuff to be done to the trees,the inevitable thing is you will have to leave it alone to grow.
one more thing see if there is a bonsai society or even a bonsai show in your area, that is a great resource for info and plant material. best of luck and keep us all posted on you adventures

Re: Where Do I Begin? 12 years 9 months ago #614

• Leslie
  • Leslie's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 7
Hi Keith,

Thank you so much for your advice and encouragement. Although...unfortunately I had to return the little Juniper to the place I purchased it from because it is an outdoor tree when I have to have an indoor plant. However, I can definitely apply your helpful suggestions to my two new projects with my indoor Jade and mini Schefflera. ;)

Thanks to Oscar's posting of Bonsai Clubs and Societies in various Countries, I was able to make my first contact today and received a phone call already. There is nothing available in my city however the nearest one is about an hour's drive from where I live which I think I could handle on my own. I am physically challenged so getting out sometimes can be a challenge in itself. Also the fellow who called today lives in my city and he belongs to another Bonsai Society in Toronto...the oldest one is Canada! It's a two hour drive away however, it's wonderful to know there is someone local who is completely into Bonsai. :cheer:

Thanks again!
Leslie

• Page: