Bonsai forum

• Page:

TOPIC:

back budding and styling 11 years 11 months ago #5301

• Axioq
  • Axioq's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thanks received: 3
hey just had some questions about back budding, my tree has grown quite a bit and when purchased i was told to back bud but havent had a chance to yet, just looking to see how much should be taken off when doing it, ill post a photo later once im home (work now)

also i feel like my bonsai is the most standard looking bonsai there is, just looking to see if there is any tips/ideas people would have for the tree, looking to have something a bit different

there is a picture in my avatar but not 100% accurate as it currently does slope down like that, just goes straight across

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re: back budding and styling 11 years 11 months ago #5302

• Pinkham
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 62
Your avatar is a juniper.
I think you have your information confused or wrong. You don't back bud a tree,trees back bud.
Where are you keeping this tree?

Re: back budding and styling 11 years 11 months ago #5307

• Axioq
i think im just using the wrong terms, i'm basically looking to prune away the new growth, ill post a photos in about an hour or so, but yes it is a Chinese Juniper

it is kept outside in a makeshift partial green house so it doesnt blow away in the wind as its on a roof

the pruning causes backbudding from what i understand...is that wrong?

Last edit: Post by Axioq.

Re: back budding and styling 11 years 11 months ago #5308

• Pinkham
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
That is right. Most varieties of juniper back bud easily.

Re: back budding and styling 11 years 11 months ago #5309

• Axioq
right, i basically am curious how far i prune back and to what extent i am able to do at once, here are the pictures as promised

This message has attachments images.
Please log in or register to see it.

Re: back budding and styling 11 years 11 months ago #5313

• Pinkham
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
You can prune off unwanted branches now, while the tree is growing. Some people say to do Major pruning in winter to reduce sap loss....other people say to do it in the spring so it will heal faster. So that's your call unless someone else chimes in.
Good luck

Re: back budding and styling 11 years 11 months ago #5323

• James May
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Thanks received: 13
Your tree has a nice shape. I would just pinch back some of the taller buds to maintain the flow of your canopy. Remember, you can use shears to remove branches, but make sure you pinch the buds with your fingers when doing normal maintenance pruning. I made the mistake of cutting the new growth on my juniper with shears when i first started. It results in the new buds to grow brown.

Re: back budding and styling 11 years 11 months ago #5324

• manofthetrees
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 193
ok the term "backbudding" refers to pruning and/or defoliating(removing all leaves) to induce new growth lower on branches and/or trunk.pruning the ends will send energy to the lower parts of the branches and make them branch out.the little branches should alternate sides ( one of them bonsai rules) so you can do so prunning.once you have this done your tree will probubly look alittle ugly but it will be better in the long run.wait a week or two to see how the tree responds then you can do some pinching if the growth continues.to do pinching on a juniper you hold the branch with one hand and pinch and pull the tips off.they'll just pop off with a little force . i recomend fertalizing weekly once this process is started and see what happens .best of luck i know it may be a little stesssfull but it will be a great learning expireince and will give you a much more personal conection with your tree ;)

Some people say to do Major pruning in winter to reduce sap loss

yes this is true late winter early spring is the best time to chop big branches on conifers.spring for pruning is fine

Re: back budding and styling 11 years 11 months ago #5325

• Axioq
just a thought, but if i wanted to make it more upright and have more of an S shape, something like the pics below, the whole trunk is wired and will take to just about any shape, but i feel that its better to get into a style you want when its younger so it stays like that? I was wondering if it would grow new stronger branches as well

i also have no idea what to do with the side trunk

PICS BELOW of ideas - mainly just the shapes

also the trunk will thicken with age in the pot correct, it was already in the pot when bought and i would prefer a little thicker, just let me know thanks for all the advice

This message has attachments images.
Please log in or register to see it.

Re: back budding and styling 11 years 11 months ago #5333

• MWid
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 45
I think the biggest problem is the size of your juniper,its not quite the same length as the other trees, but juniper can easily be wired into shape even when it is mature. If you want to go for any of those styles its best to just leave your tree for a few years. As for back budding, a few people have touched on the fact that to back bud a juniper you need to pinch all the growth tips.

• Page: