Bonsai forum

Two new shrubs...New to Bonsai

• themanns
  • Offline Topic Author
  • Thanks received: 0

Two new shrubs...New to Bonsai was created by themanns

Posted 12 years 9 months ago #541
Hi all,
My wife and i are just getting started in Bonsai and honestly have no clue... We got a couple books and yesterday bought a Cottoneaster and an Amur Maple from the greenhouse. they are both in gallon pots. And both over a foot tall already. We are guessing that the first step would be to trim the trunk down. The trunks are nearly half an inch in diameter now. In the books we've read it looks like for the first step we are supposed to cut off most of the branch material leaving what looks like a five or six inch trunk...is that right? We also have what looks like a ficus that we started from a clipping a while back. It is six to eight inches tall with a tiny trunk and a few leaved branches. Any help or advice for a couple of newbies would be appreciated.
by themanns

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Leslie
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 7

Replied by Leslie on topic Re: Two new shrubs...New to Bonsai

Posted 12 years 9 months ago #542
Hi themanns,

Welcome to the forum! It's great to have a husband and wife team joining us. I too am new to the forum and to Bonsai so I won't be giving you any advice however, there are others here who are experienced and only to willing to answer your questions. Would luv to see some photos of your little trees! :) It great to have you join us.

Leslie
by Leslie

• Youri1995
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 45

Replied by Youri1995 on topic Re: Two new shrubs...New to Bonsai

Posted 12 years 9 months ago #570
Hi themanns,

Firstly welcome to the forum! :)

Do you have pictures of both trees? It is indeed necessary to cut the trunk down because bonsai needs to be small but the question is where? You need to decide what the new crown of the tree will be. If you post some pictures, we can help you choosing it. Also reducing some long branches will help to get the tree more compact branches and a better branch structure. ;)

Greetings,
Youri
by Youri1995