Bonsai forum

• Page:

TOPIC:

Bonsai soil and pot 11 years 10 months ago #5589

• Hayes
  • Hayes's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thanks received: 1
Hi everyone. I got this bonsai soil and pot from bonsai boy. Do i have to mix it with potting soil? :unsure: If this is the way bonsai soil looks, then my tree is in regular potting soil.

This message has attachments images.
Please log in or register to see it.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Last edit: Post by Hayes.

Re: Bonsai soil and pot 11 years 10 months ago #5590

• James May
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Thanks received: 13
That looks like a nice inorganic bonsai mix. Should be good to go like that. You could add in some sifted organic material to retain extra water but it is not necessary. If you do add an organic element, only add a little. You can also add a "sharp" element like some coarse sand or grit. That would help to split up root growth and produce a finer root system. Make sure that the sand / grit is coarse, because a fine powdery sand can slow the drainage down.

It all depends on your climate and what type of tree you have.

A general rule of thumb is that hot dry climates require more organic material, And cooler moist climates require little to none. Peat moss soil will stay constantly water logged in Seattle while turface and lava rock will dry up too quickly in Phoenix. You need to find the right balance.

Also, tropical trees usually like to have more organic material than other types. A ficus would like more organic material than a juniper lets say.

Here are some examples of organic vs inorganic materials.

Inorganic : Akadama, fired clay (turface), red lava rock, pumice, etc. (anything "rocky")

Organic : Pine bark, peat moss, compost mulch, potting soil, etc. (anything "dirt-like")

Re: Bonsai soil and pot 11 years 10 months ago #5594

• manofthetrees
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 193
yes that is a traditional japanese soil (straight akadama) i have stuff imported from japan that has pine bark added that is flakes at about the same size as the rocky pieces this will retain water longer. what you have will work fine you will just need to water your trees more. not having organics in the soil will also mean you will have to fertalize more,but this is how its traditionaly done

• Page: