Bonsai forum

Chinese Elm

• Domas22
  • Offline Topic Author
  • Thanks received: 1

Chinese Elm was created by Domas22

Posted 11 years 10 months ago #5592
I live in Lithuania which Anual Lowest Temperature is ~27-23 C below zero.In the summer the temperature is ~ 29-27 but Lithuanian summers has a strong known fact that in the summer there's no wind at all and that makes everything hotter.

So can you recomend where to keep my Chinese elm?

1.Always indoors?
2.Outdoors always(but i think that my elm can't stand the temperature in the winter)?
3.Outdoors just for the mild spring to mild autumn and indoors for winter?

When you recomend me where to keep my bonsai can you also recomend me a soil mixture which is compilable with Lithuania temperatures and its place(i mean where the three is placed).Example.You recomend me to keep him outdoors and you recomend me a great soil mixture for indoors and Elms.

And if you recomend me to keep him outdoors can you also recomend where to keep hit to whitstand those temperatures and some protections.

Thank you for your reply
by Domas22

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Pinkham
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 62

Replied by Pinkham on topic Re: Chinese Elm

Posted 11 years 10 months ago #5593
In the hottest part of the day you should keep the tree partially shaded to reduce the risk of burning. As for it being an indoor or outdoor tree...I would say that it should stay outside year round, but others may disagree.They need to have a dormant period...a rest if you will, to recharge for the coming growing season. Trees that don't get a rest will eventually die. Everything would die if it never got a resting period.
As for bonsai soil in your area...I have no idea. You could get some online If you can't find any in your area.
soil is another whole thing...Everyone has their own personal favorite soil mixture.Make sure whatever you use is free draining.
Good luck.
by Pinkham

• manofthetrees
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 193

Replied by manofthetrees on topic Re: Chinese Elm

Posted 11 years 10 months ago #5595
howdy domas,

your temps are not much different from here in the u.s. your ranging from 80+F in summer and -10F in the winter. summers you will be fine for winter a protected dark place like a unheated garage will work. i put my trees in a pit below the soil line and have them covered so snow doesn't crush them.burying the shelter in snow will insulate the trees from any extreme cold. deciduous trees need to be held at a temp of 40F (4C) or lower for a period of 40 to 60 days to rest
by manofthetrees