Bonsai forum

• Page:

TOPIC:

Re: Tree Identification help please 11 years 10 months ago #5797

• manofthetrees
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 193
as for the watering i have a rather large one (13in x 9in pot)and i just put it in the kitchen sink and use the sprayer making sure to wet all the soil until it runs consistantly out the bottom.
as for lighting ,indoors i use a 40 watt florecent grow light about 6 inches from the top of the tree and like james said turn it on when i get up shut it off at bedtime (+/- 16 hours).the less light you subject it to the larger the leaves will get which is not what you want. once the temps get above 60F at night mine gets a defoliation and goes outside.the combination of the defol and the all day full sun brings the leaf size down a notch. ill be doing this in the next few weeks and will post it in the trees progression thread...check it out its titled "ficus retusa" should be about 6 months back
The following user(s) said Thank You: Zaphox

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re: Tree Identification help please 11 years 10 months ago #5855

• Zaphox
  • Zaphox's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thanks received: 1
It didn't really occur to me that it would be ok to just run water through the soil constantly for 10 minutes - I thought it be too much soaking, but I guess if the soil drainage is good then this is the idea. Is that correct?

Also, I hadn't appreciate that the less light you subject it to the larger the leaves will get. Makes sense of course!

I don't really want to get a light if I can help it because I feel it would impede my enjoyment of the tree by having the light there all day.

From the picture in my original post you can see where the tree is situated in relation to the window which is facing North West. So on a summer's day it would get perhaps 12 hours light, 5 of which would be direct sunlight. I understand this may be ideal, but is it enough for the tree to do reasonably well?

Sorry about all the questions!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Page: