This image is hidden for guests.
Please log in or register to see it.

I'm starting over (after my first major blunder :pinch: )and I wish to purchase a baby Bonsai from a reputable Bonsai grower I have found online. The Ficus Retusa has been recommended to me as a good beginner tree however, this company doesn't have that one in stock at the moment. What they do have is the Ficus Benjamina (Weeping Fig) and the Ficus Neriifolia (Willow leafed Fig). From the photos and descriptions given it seems that the Benjamina might be the better choice because it has a very strong root and trunk system, good branching habits and nice leaf structure. Both of these Bonsai have straight trunks and are only 5 inches high...I'm thinking if I go for the small plant I have more opportunity for training the trunk and roots? I'd like to purchase one as soon as possible while they are in stock so I would really appreciate you thoughts.

Also, I have two existing indoor plants that I am thinking might make good Bonsai specimens. The first is a young Jade plant I have had for over a year now and I've been pinching back new leaves since I got it. There are four trunks in the pot...three of which might share the same root system? I would love to try a *Group* style Bonsai which would require using three of the trunks (three being the proper composition balance) and the fourth I would do as a single Bonsai. The tallest plant is 5 1/2" tall. What do you think? Would the three trunks be suitable for a *group Bonsai*? Do you think they probably share the same root system? Would it be possible to carefully separate the three trunks to space them out more in a dish?

My second indoor plant I just purchased...'cuz I love it! :P It is a *Schefflera~Mini Arboricola* which I would also like to shape into a Bonsai. I've read that these make for good Bonsai. What do you think? It looks quite root bound...some of the root tips are sticking out from the top of the soil. Should I repot this even tho it is early summer?

Thanks for viewing...I eagerly await your thoughts and suggestions. :)

Leslie
by Leslie

This message has attachments images.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• BassandBonsai
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Thanks received: 0

Replied by BassandBonsai on topic Re: Sarting Over...advice please?

Posted 12 years 9 months ago #597
I don't know about buying those varieties, but as for your indoor plants, there's no reason I can see that they can't be bonsai. I think a group planting is a fine idea for the jade, although separating that fourth one might be tricky. :cheer: Spacing them apart might also be a problem, as you're probably going to damage the root system in the process. It's a tropical plant, so it won't be disrupted by tampering in the summer, but be careful not to remove more than 1/3 of the root mass. As for the Schefflera~Mini Arboricola, (which I totally copy-pasted from your post) as long as the plant is healthy and you don't remove too many roots, it'll be fine. It also won't be unduly affected by a mid-summer transplant. If you have an outdoor plant that is affected by the seasons, such as the maple, which loses its leaves and goes through a period of winter dormancy, it is important to stay within the seasonal period. Most "professionals" that have trees such as these tend to keep their indoor plants on the same schedule because that's the easiest to remember. But since your plants are indoors, they won't be affected, and so it won't be much of a problem, as they can still recuperate and grow even if it's snowing outside. You'll just need to remember when you tampered with them so you can give them a decent period to bounce back before doing it again. Best of luck!
by BassandBonsai

• leatherback
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 3654

Replied by leatherback on topic Re: Sarting Over...advice please?

Posted 12 years 9 months ago #604
Hi Leslie,

A quick note from my side.

Ficus Benjamina is an excellent plant. It takes a lot of maltreatment, will toss the leaves whenever it is unhappy, but won't die easily. So and ideal plant. It loves the summer outdoors, but beware for temperatures that drop below 10 celcius. If these temperatures become frequent you have an unhappy bonsai.

The Jade is a succulent shrub. You may be able to shape it a little, but in my experience (I have had them for over 15 years as normal indoor plants) they don't grow out to be nice trees, but rather clumpy bushes. However, there is nothing stopping you from giving it a go. Separating the plants is no problem. THe three plants are most likely individual plants. They are either from one trunc (Which you can see when you scratch the soil away) or three plants. THe plant is very strong, and will re-root easily when taking cuttings. So separating them with a bit of tlc won't be an issue.

The schefflera.. I don't know. I managed to have 2 and kill both of them (But that was 20 years ago :unsure: ). I do not like the plant myself, and would never have them again :D Hope for you you won't repeat my experience with them :D
by leatherback

• Leslie
  • Offline Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 7

Replied by Leslie on topic Re: Sarting Over...advice please?

Posted 12 years 9 months ago #612
Hi Hannah!

Thanks so much for your excellent advice regarding transplanting of indoor plants verses outdoor plants...it makes so much sense! And for reminding me of the 1/3 root mass rule. Wow! I appreciate all of your help. Hey, glad you like my Schefflera...isn't it sweet? When I saw it in the store I couldn't resist.:cheer:

Hi Jelle,

Thank you for your excellent advice about the Ficus Benjamina...good info to know. Also about separating the four Jade plants...you're right they do root easily, in fact a couple of the trunks have tiny roots above the soil level. My Jades are of the bigger leafed variety and I remember my Mom had one which grew into a massive tree at least 3 feet high from the soil level :woohoo: . How would you separate those three trunks? I'm thinking with a good sharp knife just carefully slice in between them? I know this method is recommended for outdoor garden plants. What do you think?

As for the Schefflera...I had a regular sized one for many years found it so easy to grow. I nearly killed the poor thing three times, once from accidentally leaving it outside in a heavy frost.:ohmy: The whole upper canopy was lost but it protected the rest of the plant so I just cut it off below the damaged canopy and it came back like crazy! They need a lot of bright, indirect light indoors and love to be outside during the summer months providing they are shaded from direct sunlight and, of course, it's not left outside in the frost :S LOL! Anyway, I think I'm going to try to Bonsai this mini Schefflera. Wish me luck!

Leslie
by Leslie

• leatherback
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 3654

Replied by leatherback on topic Re: Sarting Over...advice please?

Posted 12 years 9 months ago #625
Hi Leslie,

Well.. If you think 3feet is a massive tree, yes, then I agree. I had mine at about 2/3 that size when I finally decided to give it away. The trunc had grown to an impressive 10cm at that point. The main thing I have with these plants: They stay smallish by and of itself. So what is the challenge in making it a bonsai? You can just leave it as is and say: Look, a bonsai :D. But I am curious to see what it will bring.

I would water the plant well, let the plant drink for an hour or so. Then dump the whole lot in a bucket of water. THat way most of the soil will wash away. Carefuly you can then gently pull the individual root clusters apart. You will lose 10% of the roots, but I always fell that is better then just cutting them apart.

Garden plants I treat similarly; I try to not cut, but rather rip, larger plants into two new plants. You will break the roots at their weakest which is usally a good point for healing.
by leatherback

• Leslie
  • Offline Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 7

Replied by Leslie on topic Re: Sarting Over...advice please?

Posted 12 years 9 months ago #631
Hi J,

I see your point about the Jade. I don't think Mom did anything other than water and occasionally feed her Jade...no time for pinching back and what-not. So this should be an interesting project. I am also curious to see what it will bring.;)

Your method of separating the roots sounds like an excellent idea! I will definitely do that. Thanks again for your guidance. :cheer:

Leslie
by Leslie