Bonsai forum

Lost..Help

• Hayes
  • Offline Topic Author
  • Thanks received: 1

Lost..Help was created by Hayes

Posted 11 years 10 months ago #5911
Hello, I found 2 Boxwood and 1 Compacta japanese holly for 1.99 each at walmart friday. I feel lost. I found some information on the boxwood, but not a lot. I can't find anything on the holly. Should i just put the plants in a bigger pot until next spring? They are really root bound. Would it hurt them to thin them out some? Sorry some of the pics are blurry, having a hard time with my camera. :whistle:
by Hayes

This message has attachments images.
Please log in or register to see it.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Hayes
  • Offline Topic Author
  • Thanks received: 1

Replied by Hayes on topic Re: Lost..Help

Posted 11 years 10 months ago #5912
Pics of the holly.
by Hayes

This message has attachments images.
Please log in or register to see it.

• James May
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Thanks received: 13

Replied by James May on topic Re: Lost..Help

Posted 11 years 10 months ago #5915
Those trees look great. TheBonsaiStudent did a demonstration on turning a hardware store Japanese boxwood into a bonsai tree. Check these videos out.

Part 1:

Part 2:

Part 3:

Here is some general info on how to care for your boxwood

www.bonsai4me.com/SpeciesGuide/Buxus%20Indepth.htm

If I were you I would start working on one of those plants. Its great practice. Trim it down to a nice shape, clean the roots up, and get it into a bonsai pot. You can even practice some wiring on it if you wish. 2 Dollar plants are the perfect material to hone your skills on. It is a little late in the season to do this, but who cares? Just think of it as a way to build your confidence for later material.
by James May

• manofthetrees
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 193

Replied by manofthetrees on topic Re: Lost..Help

Posted 11 years 10 months ago #5920
!!! leave the roots alone!!! they will be fine until next spring if you want put them in larger pots but it is not a big deal the boxwood are hardy hedge plants you can cut branches pretty much anytime you like so practice wireing,designing ,prunning all you want. next spring you can cut the roots down and get them into better pots. yes they were cheap ,but ther is no sence putting time and effort into something that will just be stunted for 2 years or die totaly
by manofthetrees