Bonsai forum

Zelkova

• myth
  • Offline Topic Author
  • Thanks received: 0

Zelkova was created by myth

Posted 11 years 10 months ago #5982
Hi, I started growing at xmas when I got a starter kit. Have 1 Canadian Maple tree at 6months old now. It spurred me on to try more and after doing a fair bit of research and preparation I got more seeds and tried more. I now have a small nursery of 10 saplings some conifer and flowering.

I recently purchased what I was told was a Zelkova from my local nursery. It was kept indoors and out direct sunlight. I didnt get any information about it, assistant wasnt much help nor was the 50 word instruction booklet. I just wondered If it was the right tree as I already have a Chinese Elm and they look very similar in shape, bark colour, leaf shape. The only differences I can see is that the Zelkova has darker leaves with a shiny sort of glaze to the top and slightly larger leaf structure. Ive had it a week a each day ive noticed about 5-6 leafs starting to turn yellow and drop off. I just wondered if this was normal or if the tree was screaming out in agony because im doing something wrong?

This image is hidden for guests.
Please log in or register to see it.

Last Edit:11 years 10 months ago by myth
Last edit: 11 years 10 months ago by myth.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• snuffy
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Thanks received: 15

Replied by snuffy on topic Re: Zelkova

Posted 11 years 10 months ago #5983
This might help

www.bonsaiempire.com/tree-species/zelkova

I keep my zelkova outside with afternoon shade. It has been my observation that zelkova will drop inner shaded leaves when they are about to grow a new branch in that location. I leave the leaf on, because if it is pulled off you can inadvertanting pull the new bud off with it. I wait until the leaf is dried out and smash it, by pinching, and let the small stem that is left stay on the tree. That way I have less chance of damaging the new bud. Hope this helps.

Here is another care sheet

www.bonsai4me.com/SpeciesGuide/Zelkova.html
by snuffy
The following user(s) said Thank You: myth

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.