Bonsai forum

• Page:

TOPIC:

Beginners question - Best tree for my environment 11 years 9 months ago #6102

• Dimplepwr
  • Dimplepwr's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thanks received: 0
Hello fellow bonsai'ers,

So I am going to pick up my first bonsai at my new place but wanted everyones opinion. I live across the beach in southern california and want to get a species of tree that is going to do well in the environment I have for it. I have a little garden between 2, 2 story buildings that gets 1-2 hours of direct sun light in the middle of the day. I was thinking if starting with a juniper because I have had those in the past at another house and I did ok with them. What I would really would like is a japneese maple but do you think it would do well with that little direct sunlight in the middle if the day? Another way to ask the question is what species of tree would you grow in the environment I have and why?

Thanks for the help.

K

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Beginners question - Best tree for my environment 11 years 9 months ago #6103

• chrisv
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Thanks received: 22
Hey

I myself live near the beach and that's one of the reasons i mainly work with evergreen species.
Off course the weather in Cali is totally different than were i live, but since you mentioned full sun during day and sea climate junipers and pines are the best choice.
Altough Junipers might need à little protection when it gets really hot during the day especially in summertime.
This is all refered to trees standing in the sun almost all day.
Note That junipers and pines don't like dark places to long eventually branches can die off and worse the whole tree if kept to dark.
As for Japanse maples i find that they grow best in shade of lager trees with some filtered sunlight during the day And some full Morning or evening sun.
Because of the strong winds at the coast, sand and salt most decidious trees don't last long were i live without proper protection so to make à long story short....
Juniper sounds good. ;)
The following user(s) said Thank You: Oscar

Beginners question - Best tree for my environment 11 years 9 months ago #6104

• Dimplepwr
  • Dimplepwr's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thanks received: 0
Chris,

I was going through your tumblr and you have a lot of cool trees. Thanks for your insight. I want to big you later about growing moss at the base of the trees a well but we'll put that in another thread. Thanks again.

K

• Page: