Bonsai forum

Seeds - ive got some time

• Axioq
  • Offline Topic Author
  • Thanks received: 3

Seeds - ive got some time was created by Axioq

Posted 11 years 8 months ago #6284
So recently i have been thinking of buying some seeds to attempt to create some bonsai that i likely wouldn't be able to afford now or at least for a while. Being only 26 i figure that if i start some now 20 years from now i could have something decent looking

My issue is which species to select or which would involve a lot of learning. I am looking for a challenge and trying to see what is something unique but looks amazing a bonsai

I know some trees will likely be easier to get started but i'm not too concerned with that as i have time to learn and experiment. So at this stage just looking for some inspiration for what to try to do or create. Was thinking of trying to do a forest type arrangement but really nothing is set in stone.

So please Bonsai Empire let me know some unique/awesome/fun/beautiful trees that can be produced by seeds and i can really cherish for the years to come. thanks

ALSO: so far my random thought was to try to do some type of redwood but keep it smaller...because it would be a contradiction and thus funny
Last Edit:11 years 8 months ago by Axioq
Last edit: 11 years 8 months ago by Axioq. Reason: why not

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• manofthetrees
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 193

Replied by manofthetrees on topic Seeds - ive got some time

Posted 11 years 8 months ago #6307
hey me too...im not looking for anything unusual as of yet tho.

black pines can be grown into awesome trees in ten years but the process is quite complicated.they are a nice tree to "challenge a beginer" they involve alot of work. i have one that is young and am in the process of learning the ins and outs of this species,

spuces(picea)are another candidate there are tons of varieties

alberta spruce are very nice and would be great for a forest planting.as soon as i find the stock (7 to 11 trees) i will plant a forest of these myself ;)

my dream tree is the ezo spruce (picea jezoensis) all i can find is seed for these tho. they grow extremely slow ive heard that a 3 inch trunk can take 100years to grow. i was all ready to buy seeds and sell them after 5 years cuz they are so hard to find,but then i herd that. i may still try it tho
by manofthetrees

• Cronic
  • Banned
  • Banned
  • Thanks received: 33

Replied by Cronic on topic Seeds - ive got some time

Posted 11 years 8 months ago #6310
i have some Ezo spruce seeds, aswell as Pinus Mugo and japanese Larch..
i tried planting them 6 weeks ago, and pretty fast 5 larches got out.. but it was too hot inside and too wet outside and after an extreme thunderstorm the entire seed bed was flooded and i lost everything..
i still have about 20 seeds of all, so i'm going to try re-seeding next spring or even late winter..
i have a covered well lighted shed now, so i can keep the seedlings outside than.. hopefully it will result in more success..
by Cronic

• cleaner626
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Thanks received: 8

Replied by cleaner626 on topic Seeds - ive got some time

Posted 11 years 8 months ago #6312
tips: just make sure to use larger pot. A spongy lum soil will assure the growth of seedling, those young plants are so delecate avoid too much or direct sunlight in there early stage.
by cleaner626

• leatherback
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 3654

Replied by leatherback on topic Seeds - ive got some time

Posted 11 years 8 months ago #6336

Cronic wrote: i tried planting them 6 weeks ago, and pretty fast 5 larches got out.. but it was too hot inside and too wet outside and after an extreme thunderstorm the entire seed bed was flooded and i lost everything..

Rain is not a problem for seedlings. It is the drainage that was wrong. If you have seedlings, best is to keep them outdoors in a well-draining substrate, such as coarse sand with potting soil in a tray with drainage holes. Then the seedlings will survive prolonged rain without any trouble. You could even move the tray into a sheltered spot is seriousdownpours are expected.

Keeping them indoors will hurt the seedling more than a serious rainstorm will.. Conifers are not made to be indoors.
by leatherback

• Axioq
  • Offline Topic Author
  • Thanks received: 3

Replied by Axioq on topic Seeds - ive got some time

Posted 11 years 8 months ago #6339
usually they are planted in the spring or can they be planted whenever
by Axioq

• manofthetrees
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 193

Replied by manofthetrees on topic Seeds - ive got some time

Posted 11 years 8 months ago #6347
if you have lighting and growing capabilities indoors you can start them in the winter inside otherwise the best is in spring.outdoor trees started now will most likely not be strong enough to make it through the winter
by manofthetrees

• LetsBonsai8048
  • Thanks received: 0

Replied by LetsBonsai8048 on topic Seeds - ive got some time

Posted 11 years 8 months ago #6361
your young so get started right now, if you wait a few more years you will regret it. I know I do. Bonsai is not like baking a cake (90min in the oven and your done), you got to wait for it a FEW years.
Try to grow from seed, is realy exiting.....
by LetsBonsai8048