Bonsai forum

• Page:

TOPIC:

mini jade questions 11 years 7 months ago #6548

• nicuz
  • nicuz's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thanks received: 0
Hey guys,

The bonsai was not in a very good shape when I purchased it, 4 days ago. There were not buds and some of the branches looked like they were dead, and you can actually peel off some of the layers (see pics). The reason I acquired it was because it was only $10. The great news is that after only 4 days, I can see some buds growing.

A couple of questions:

1. Can anyone figure out how old the bonsai is? The trunk is about 1 inch thick and the total height of the tree is 10 inches.

2. Any ideea what could have casue the branches to die? Why there were no buds?

3. Should I remove the dead branches or not?

4. Should I do anything to the bonsai? eg: repot (no idea what the soil mixture is), fertilize etc...

Thanks

This message has an attachment image.
Please log in or register to see it.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

mini jade questions 11 years 7 months ago #6550

• manofthetrees
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 193
as for age there is no way to tell it is most likely a rooted branch

it looks to have not been watered jades will loose leaves and slowly die back to nothing if not watered

leave them for now they will bud were the dead meets the living and removing them now may danmage the buds. i am preety sure they will fall of in time anyway

i would just leave it alone for a while it looks to have a good branch structure so let it grow and see what you have first

mini jade questions 11 years 7 months ago #6592

• MWid
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 45
That's a Spekboom, or Portulacaria Afra. The are quite easily propagated by cuttings, so my guess is that the plant isn't very old, but i may be wrong. It has a very nice branch structure, but I have never seen one looking so bare, so I don't know what the prospects are for this tree.

This message has an attachment image.
Please log in or register to see it.

mini jade questions 11 years 6 months ago #6601

• manofthetrees
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 193
oh yeah a couple more things ...what is the soil like? it should be mostly rock/gravel...these guys need to dry out they are a desert plant more or less.

i would keep it damp for a week and then let it dry completely.

once it is growing well waterings can wait up to a month. too much water will grow long drooping branches and eventually leaf loss.they can root from them so i think it is a reproductive thing...if its wet awhile the babies will grow ;)

mini jade questions 11 years 6 months ago #6607

• leatherback
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 3653
Moisture is no problem als long as the plant gets loads of sunlight, direct sunlight. I had mine in regular potting soil. Grew very well. In summer outside, no watering (Rain did the job) in winter inside, no water (winterrest). Flowers in Spring.

• Page: