Bonsai forum

Serissa Mt. Fuji?

• BonsaiGuy
  • Offline Topic Author
  • Thanks received: 0

Serissa Mt. Fuji? was created by BonsaiGuy

Posted 11 years 7 months ago #6565
Dear Bonsai Loving Friends,

Just today I finally acheived a lifetime goal of mine purchasing a bonsai with my own money from a arts festival. I was so full of joy I quite instantly wanted to find some online info--but can't find any fitting to my style of learning, so to speak. I was told the Bonsai I bought was a Serissa Mt. Fuji, because it was grown for the first 2 years of its life in a bonsai sanctuary on Mt. Fuji. I think the correct scientific name for it would be the Serissa Foetida, but am not positive. I was given the basics, and know what I must do to not kill it :unsure: . I was informed to keep the bonsai the same shape from the piece of paper given, but I am not completely happy with the shape of my little guy. (have not yet given a name, something in japanese, maybee? suggestions please)

I am aware there is a technique having to do with the copper wires, but is it safe to move the limbs of my 2 year old tree? I am unsure and need some help. also I will love to provide a picture if it helps later. pre-thanks to you.

Your Bonsai-Newbie Friend,
Nate, A.K.A. BonsaiGuy
by BonsaiGuy

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• manofthetrees
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 193

Replied by manofthetrees on topic Serissa Mt. Fuji?

Posted 11 years 7 months ago #6570
well i hate to tell you but it most likely did not grow anywere near mt fuji getting trees from japan is no easy task and can take years to get them due to quarentineing

serissa foetida is probubly correct.foetida is latin for "unpleasent odor" so bending and pruning may get stinky??? the original trees originated in japan and it may be a specific cultivator

it is a subtropical bush so it needs to be brought in for winter

copper wire is best used by expierianced growers i recomend using aluminium wire it works great.im not familiar with the species so i do not know how plyable the branches are some trees are very brittle and will snap easily some bend like rubber

post pics please they give a much better idea what you are dealing with...
by manofthetrees
The following user(s) said Thank You: BonsaiGuy

• BonsaiGuy
  • Offline Topic Author

Replied by BonsaiGuy on topic Serissa Mt. Fuji?

Posted 11 years 7 months ago #6571
well it actually has quite a plesant smell i think... :huh:

but thanks for some info. i'm not sure where you are in timezones and such but it's 9:15 PM here, and will be back on no later than 11 hours, 8:00 AM here about then. by then I will post some pics of my plant--and maybee its not FROM Mt. Fuji, but I don't think they were lying. their website is www.Celestialbonsai.com , maybee someone like you could tell the difference. but please do keep responding, as I usually start something and am thouroughly obsessed for a long time. :woohoo:

Even if it's not what they say it was, I am gonna take care of it!

Your Bonsai-Newbie Friend,
BonsaiGuy
by BonsaiGuy

• manofthetrees
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 193

Replied by manofthetrees on topic Serissa Mt. Fuji?

Posted 11 years 7 months ago #6573
im in western new york state so we are in the same t zone... this is a very addicting hobby i went from 3 to 25 trees in a year and am now over 40 just take it slow this art requires alot of patience ...alot B) i recomend alot of research it will only help.

i checked the site the trees originated around mt fugi just as the kyoto and okinawa originated from their locations they may have different flowers or leaves and this is how they are differenciated
by manofthetrees

• BonsaiGuy
  • Offline Topic Author

Replied by BonsaiGuy on topic Serissa Mt. Fuji?

Posted 11 years 7 months ago #6629
still haven't gotten a picture yet, with school starting up and all :pinch: gee, i guess i gotta get fertilizer for my plant too. every moth, 2-4 drops, right? for the water soluble stuff...
by BonsaiGuy