Bonsai forum

TOPIC:

serissa foetida 11 years 5 months ago #7598

• MWid
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 45
That's pretty cool, another idea could also be to leave it and perhaps seperate it from the parent plant next time you repot, that way you grow another serrissa from scratch. But if it is on a major root I wouldnt do this, mainly because Ive heard serrisa foetida don't respond well to root pruning.
The following user(s) said Thank You: kittyvlekkie

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

serissa foetida 11 years 5 months ago #7615

• kittyvlekkie
  • kittyvlekkie's Avatar Topic Author
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Thanks received: 5

That's pretty cool, another idea could also be to leave it and perhaps seperate it from the parent plant next time you repot, that way you grow another serrissa from scratch. But if it is on a major root I wouldnt do this, mainly because Ive heard serrisa foetida don't respond well to root pruning.

aww man, i just pruned it away and i will have to continue to do this or else it will create problems and also nice idea, i will do this when i can stop calling myself a beginner.

serissa foetida 11 years 5 months ago #7617

• MWid
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 45
Hey man I still very much consider myself a beginner, its all about exploring and experimenting different things, you will find its the best way to learn, by applying things you have read or heard and seeing if they work for you.

serissa foetida 11 years 5 months ago #7619

• kittyvlekkie
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member

Hey man I still very much consider myself a beginner, its all about exploring and experimenting different things, you will find its the best way to learn, by applying things you have read or heard and seeing if they work for you.

i know, there is never enough to learn and before you tried everything it will take a long time, especially with bonsai.

thank you.

Last edit: Post by kittyvlekkie. Reason: er moest nog wat bij.

serissa foetida 11 years 5 months ago #7620

• manofthetrees
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 193
i gree... i myself am pretty good with ficus and some deciduous trees but there are sooo many species with their own little qwerks it may take decades to master a good amount of them. wiring even tho ive been told i am pretty good at it i still find myself wiring in the wrong direction to achieve my goals.root work has become my latest goal to get a good hold on,and i beleive the scariest part of working on trees.ive killed my fair share of trees over the years ,but they have taught me lesons that arent forgotten. it seems to me that books can give you good beginer info ,but personal expeirance and watching others has taught me the most

serissa foetida 11 years 5 months ago #7623

• kittyvlekkie
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member

i gree... i myself am pretty good with ficus and some deciduous trees but there are sooo many species with their own little qwerks it may take decades to master a good amount of them. wiring even tho ive been told i am pretty good at it i still find myself wiring in the wrong direction to achieve my goals.root work has become my latest goal to get a good hold on,and i beleive the scariest part of working on trees.ive killed my fair share of trees over the years ,but they have taught me lesons that arent forgotten. it seems to me that books can give you good beginer info ,but personal expeirance and watching others has taught me the most

i know, i have tried certain things from books but they are never as good as when you need to actually use it. if you learned it from a master, which gives extra information, you will learn it better. i read a lot of books and things on the internet about the species(i have a book about that too but sometimes i need more information). but i also go to lessons now and i really like it and they can explain it so well but for some reason it sounded like my martial arts teacher saying no put your foot there, no put your arm like this, but then in bonsai. it felt the same and yet very differently.

serissa foetida 11 years 5 months ago #7625

• manofthetrees
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 193

it sounded like my martial arts teacher saying no put your foot there, no put your arm like this,

oh yes this is not unusual.some teachers are very stuck on the traditional ways, the first branch must be here and the trunk must do this kinda stuff. the master in my club ridiculed my rocks on my trees, he said when he sees rocks it makes him wonder what is being hidden...i was like what!!! they are there cuz i like them and they add to the scenery im not hiding anything

serissa foetida 11 years 5 months ago #7626

• kittyvlekkie
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member

oh yes this is not unusual.some teachers are very stuck on the traditional ways,

no, it isn't like that, it just felt like it

serissa foetida 11 years 5 months ago #7658

• buna
  • Thanks received: 6
The roots smell pretty bad to0, kinda like rotting cabbage lol

serissa foetida 11 years 3 months ago #7955

• kittyvlekkie
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
unfortunately after a long fight against bugs, the tree died.

Last edit: Post by kittyvlekkie. Reason: i had to add something