Bonsai forum

Is my serissa foetida dead ?

• Trish2602
  • Offline Topic Author
  • Thanks received: 0

Is my serissa foetida dead ? was created by Trish2602

Posted 11 years 4 months ago #7843
My tree was bought for me a year ago and was flourishing till a couple of weeks ago . I have been standing it for 20 minutes in water a couple times a week when dry . It started to lose its leaves bit by bit

It became loose in the pot . I think a lot of the soil was washing away . I could feel gaps under the roots so I filled them up with compost and fed with pho strongmen fertiliser . Most of its leaves have now gone and it looks half dead . There are a few green shoots coming from the trunk at the bottom they just look like plant seedlings .

Will it survive And what do I do now to rescue it it is indoors in the uk and it is winter.
by Trish2602

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• manofthetrees
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 193

Replied by manofthetrees on topic Is my serissa foetida dead ?

Posted 11 years 4 months ago #7845
you say it looks half dead and it just may be...the roots that were lacking soil most likly died. seeing there are buds forming is a good thing so its not all dead.you may loose a few branches you may have only a trunk left only time will tell.
put it in a well lit area and lessen the watering.there are no leaves so it will not be drawing up much water. now its just a waiting game
your situation sucks right now,but i always find it exiting...checking daily for more signs of life and being estatic when a new bud forms signifying more of the tre has survived.best of luck and keep us posted
by manofthetrees
The following user(s) said Thank You: Trish2602

• ironhorse
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Thanks received: 72

Replied by ironhorse on topic Is my serissa foetida dead ?

Posted 11 years 4 months ago #7846
Sounds like overwatering and/or heavy compost has caused the roots to rot, suggest you wash off all soil and repot in a free draining mix, put it in a well lit place where the temperature is fairly constant and hope it recovers. Full immersion in water should not be necessary as a routine, only for emergency where the plant has dried out to a critical level. Keep the soil just moist, with minimal feed if any.

Dave
by ironhorse

• kittyvlekkie
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Thanks received: 5

Replied by kittyvlekkie on topic Is my serissa foetida dead ?

Posted 11 years 4 months ago #7849
i am struggling with my serissa that had a lice invasion and i noticed it very late and i just thought it lost some leaves because of the climate, but then i saw it had lice, my olive had mealybug(i noticed that one very quickly) and my ficus had some bug in it's leaves, eating it. so i treated them, my serissa weakened because of the treatment, i gave it it's monthly fertilising and it has maybe 1 or 2 alive groups of leaves but i can notice it trying to grow again.

it was VERY close to death.
by kittyvlekkie