Bonsai forum

New Juniper in the Winter

• Gushygoo
  • Offline Topic Author
  • Thanks received: 0

New Juniper in the Winter was created by Gushygoo

Posted 11 years 3 months ago #7920
Hi everyone,

I just purchased my very first bonsai tree (Midori) after being fascinated by them for years (since I was a kid) but I never thought I had the stability in my life or time to care for one till now.
So I went to a garden store and found a beautiful lil juniper tree. I live in Ontario, Canada and we're in the middle of Winter right now and I live in an apartment with a large balcony where I keep my outdoor plants so she's felt right at home out there.

My question is everything is telling me to get Midori out of that training pot and into a larger pot with better soil because I don't think that soil is the best for her. I know it being winter and all it might not be the best time to replant the tree but considering she's probably be inside most of the time she spent at the store, I'd rather her be in the best conditions before leaving her to be dormant for winter.

Whats the best course of action to not further stress out my Juniper?

Thanks

GG

PS I attached a photo of Midori :)
by Gushygoo

This message has an attachment image.
Please log in or register to see it.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• leatherback
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 3654

Replied by leatherback on topic New Juniper in the Winter

Posted 11 years 3 months ago #7922
Hm.. I do not know that juniperus species 'Midori'. But in general it is a bad idea to do repotting in the middle of winter. I am not sure what winter you are having this year, but typically Ontario knows very cold winters. I would leave the plant in the container and do repotting only in spring.
I can't see the soil. The size of the pot does not seem too small to me, unless you want the tree to grow large{r}
by leatherback

• Gushygoo
  • Offline Topic Author
  • Thanks received: 0

Replied by Gushygoo on topic New Juniper in the Winter

Posted 11 years 3 months ago #7923
Oh I just named the Juniper "Midori" I believe it's a Common Juniper tree.
We're having a late start to our winter this year and it's about -2 degrees celcius right now. I was wondering also because when I water the plant outside it seems the soil is frozen as well... should I still keep it outside and water it even though things might be freezing in the pot?

Thank you for your reply.
by Gushygoo