Bonsai forum

• Page:

TOPIC:

Tree identification help 11 years 3 months ago #7970

• dlc.nla
  • dlc.nla's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thanks received: 0
Hello everyone, it's a pleasure to be the newest member of your forum.,I'm here to ask the question I'm sure you've all seen a thousand times... What species tree is my first Bonsai?
Any help and/or tips from you seasoned experts would be greatly appreciated! Thank you in advance.

This message has attachments images.
Please log in or register to see it.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Tree identification help 11 years 3 months ago #7972

• dlc.nla
  • dlc.nla's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thanks received: 0
After a bit of research, I'm almost certain that this is just a common ficus. I only spent $20 on it, as this is my first venture into the art of bonsai.
Does it matter what type of ficus this is? Or will the care details remain the same for all types?

Tree identification help 11 years 3 months ago #7975

• leatherback
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 3654
Hi,

Hm.. Yes it does matter, Ficus is (one of) the largest tree genusses and there is a wide variety of possible growing habits. So knowing which species you have makes a difference.

A common ficus to me would be a ficus bejamina, which this 99% certain is not, as benjamina has a little 'lip' at the tip of the leave, which allows rain water to drip off.

It *might* be the retusa, often seen in Bonsai. But it seems like the leaves might be a tad small. But that may just be illusion of pictures.

Most ficus love heat, hate changes, and adore moisture in the air, and light. Make sure the roots stay moist, but (hardly) never waterlogged.
The following user(s) said Thank You: dlc.nla

Tree identification help 11 years 3 months ago #7979

• manofthetrees
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 193
not a retusa or natalensis the leaves are too elongated.
the only problem that you might run into is defoliating .some species of fig do not like to be leafless and do not recover well
The following user(s) said Thank You: dlc.nla

• Page: