• Page:

TOPIC:

NY trees 11 years 3 months ago #7987

• Vnolan
  • Vnolan's Avatar Topic Author
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Thanks received: 17
Hello, does anyone have advice on "easier" trees to grow in WNY? I have some pines that are doing well. I am moving from a place that is constantly soggy due to underground springs to a place that is more dry/farmland so I'm hoping that the increased sunlight and lower elevation will help me out. Trees I have right now: sequoias, redwoods, black pine and juniper. Any suggestions? Anybody grow a bonsai apple tree? :) I think a crabapple would be cute but if its finicky, no thank you. I need to build up my skills before getting into the finicky trees.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

NY trees 11 years 3 months ago #7991

• leatherback
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 3654
What is WNY?

NY trees 11 years 3 months ago #7993

• Youri1995
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 45

What is WNY?

West New York, I think?

NY trees 11 years 3 months ago #7994

• Vnolan
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
Yes, western New York State, south of the city of Buffalo. Sorry about that.

NY trees 11 years 3 months ago #7995

• leatherback
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
Afaik, crap-apples are easy to grow. Junipers in general are hardy. If you are worried about having enough light, japanese maples might be interesting: THey do not like a lot of hot sun

NY trees 11 years 3 months ago #7997

• manofthetrees
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 193
WNY B) im from west seneca,10 minutes from the buffalo city line, were are you relocating to exactly...

well as for trees pretty much anything zone 5 to 6, zone 7's survive with some advanced care .most j.maples survive well hemlock ,larch, elm, beech,birch apple,plum, pear ect... yellow pine are very ubundent naturaly sugar maple, silver maple,weeping willow are also natives the only "bonsai" species i have had trouble with are trident maple they need very good protection in the winter.

on another note once you get settled we have a relativly new bonsai club in the area that would be glad to have another member ;)

NY trees 11 years 3 months ago #8008

• Vnolan
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
Hello, thank you for your suggestions. I have a few small pines growing, and when I get to my new place there are willows so I'm looking forward to making some cuttings. There's a nice crabapple, also, so I'm researching if cuttings can be made of that. Leatherback, when you say crabapples are fairly easy, does that mean in the ground or in a pot? also where are you from? there are a lot of them around here so id assume they "like" this environment.I had some tridents and they died, which was discouraging. I peeked at an acer maple through the glass and it seems to be doing ok. I have some junipers that my local nursery was nice enough to give me because they were rejects, so I'm going to start planning them in the spring. I'm located near Olean, NY, so pretty close to you! What bonsai club are you part of? Do they meet in the winter? Also, what does it cost? If there's a website ill check it out.

NY trees 11 years 3 months ago #8011

• leatherback
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
Crap apples are very stron plants and do well in full ground and pots.

NY trees 11 years 3 months ago #8018

• manofthetrees
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 193
well olean is about 45 min away so its not that close,but it is the WNY bonsai club,it is held at the McKinley mall in the Red Dragon school of martial arts.
our meetings are the second saturday of the month at 6pm

• Page: