Bonsai forum

new to the bonsai tree

• coleb161
  • Offline Topic Author
  • Thanks received: 0

new to the bonsai tree was created by coleb161

Posted 11 years 3 months ago #8042
Hello I just got a bonsai tree as a gift and would line to no the basics for keeping my bonsai nice and healthyit is a serissa I think its may be 4 years old it has a card with 2008 on it. So would like to no as much as possible from watering to wire when is the best time to start. pruning tips and when to start pruning .Keeping the bugs away
by coleb161

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• bob
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 175

Replied by bob on topic new to the bonsai tree

Posted 10 years 2 months ago #10461
The label I think is when it was seeded. But the most important thing is watering, so water, don't be scared as overwatering is when you water to often, so soak the soil completely. Prune in spring and summer, when new growth starts. Keep the area of your plant clean
by bob

• m5eaygeoff
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 855

Replied by m5eaygeoff on topic new to the bonsai tree

Posted 10 years 2 months ago #10462
Where are you in the world? Serrisa is one of the most difficult plants to start with. hates draughts and needs plenty of light. Water as needed, not to a schedule, as Bob says, watering too often is a killer.
Check the soil every day with a chopstick, and water when almost dry. 4 years old is very young, it was either from seed or could have been a cutting, it does not matter. A picture would be good.
Geoff
by m5eaygeoff