Bonsai forum

• Page:

TOPIC:

Zelkova serrata? 10 years 10 months ago #9157

• michaliskapa
  • michaliskapa's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thanks received: 0
Hello everybody. I just received this beautiful bonsai for my birthday for my collection. According to my friend it belongs to the Zelkova Serrata type. It's the first time I ever get one from this kind, so I would like some general info, first of all if it actually is a Zelkova and also info concerning position(indoors, outdoors), watering, fertilizing etc. I have referred to the 'Bonsai Tree Species' section here, but any more additional info is more than welcome. Thanks in advance.

This message has attachments images.
Please log in or register to see it.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Zelkova serrata? 10 years 10 months ago #9158

• m5eaygeoff
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 853
Well, it does look like Chinese Elm, and it should be kept outside not in. It could do with some work but it is not too bad.

Zelkova serrata? 10 years 10 months ago #9166

• michaliskapa
I have done some online search and I think it's probably a variety of the chinese elm, probably the Hokkaido Elm, as the leaves are really tiny and the foliage quite thick. I keep it outside, a few leaves have turned yellow and dropped but I guess that's always the case when u introduce a bonsai to a new environment. For now, I won't do anything to it, until it adapts, but what do u mean, you could do some work? Any suggestions?

Zelkova serrata? 10 years 10 months ago #9173

• manofthetrees
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 193
it is not a hokkaido elm their bark is corky. if it is an elm it is probubly a catlin elm they have smaller leaves and smooth bark.
this is a nice starter tree,it has nice branch placement. it just needs to grow. it looks to me like the leader is trained to curl down . if you do anything this year it would be to loose that part and develope a new leader more in line with the trunkline

Zelkova serrata? 10 years 10 months ago #9175

• michaliskapa
By 'leader' you mean the main branch I guess. That's true it seems like it was trained to curl down. I would rather see a more balanced result though. Maybe developing the other 2 branch arrangements so that eventually I could have an 'umbrella-like' effect. What do u think? But in any case, all the shaping is for next period now, no? And it's true, after some more reading, I also think it belongs to the Catlin variety. I read somewhere that there might be some leaf-loss if there are new leaves developing. Is that correct? There are lots of new buds ready to break and at the same time a few of the older leaves, as well as some of the leaves that were injured during previous cuttings turn slowly yellow and drop.

• Page: