Bonsai forum

• Page:

TOPIC:

Does this need reporting?! 10 years 9 months ago #9271

• m5eaygeoff
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 853
basically it is a broom style it is very difficuly with Ficus to get much other shapes, it is better to stick to the style the plant has

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Does this need reporting?! 10 years 9 months ago #9275

• manofthetrees
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 193
i agree h whole heartedly with LB. this needs to be repotted ficus do not do good in soggy organic soil. repotting can be done whenever there is signs of growth. ficus like alot of light and as long as temps are above 50 degrees F is should be outside in full sun. low light levels will produce vert large leaves.
ficus can have there soil dry out . they will start to wilt when left too long,but will perk up after an hour or 2 after watering.outside in full sun it sould need water every other day.
so you know "mallsia" is just a name given to mass produced bonsai usually sold in malls or supermarkets. yours happens to be on the better end of the scale. the shape is up to the owner

Does this need reporting?! 10 years 9 months ago #9287

• leatherback
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 3654
Indeed, shaped like and S.

I have taken an habit to growing ficus in very wet conditions. and they grow like manic. Like ManOfTrees said: lots of light (I nog have a 30cm diameter pre-bonsai ficus sitting in my greenhouse between peppers and tomatoes. It is growing several cm per week (!).

I find you can do whatever you want with a healthy ficus, including choping back to a few cm above the soil, and the plat will come back stronger. I therefor wholeheartedly disagree with the idea that ficus is dificult to restyle. It will grow in any shape, provide appropriate care is given (Light, heat, water)

Last edit: Post by leatherback.

Does this need reporting?! 10 years 9 months ago #9295

• m5eaygeoff
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 853
It also depends on what country you are in. Ficus do not grow like that in this country. Keeping it wet will kill the plant, and pruning will always cause bleeding of sap. Re potting is done when needed, and if the soil is draining well there is no need.
I can see no point is trying to change a style in so drastic a way when there is already a reasonable style. With some species it is possible completely change the design but not all species will take it.

• Page: