Bonsai forum

• Page:

TOPIC:

CABALLERO (Caesalpinia pulcherrinma) OR NOT 10 years 8 months ago #9269

• Judelt
  • Judelt's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thanks received: 1
Good day to everyone!

I am new to the Art of Bonsai and had recently purchased one that apparently is a Caballero (Caesalpinia pulcherrinma) -Fire/Flame Tree. When I first saw this tree, I loved the movement and uniqueness of the trunk. The vision of this tree in full bloom with orange or yellow flowers excited me. As the small branches and leaves came out, I noticed that these were not the same as the what I have observed with other older Caballero trees -which had finer, smaller and more leaves. Nevertheless, I can still see its potential and so I need information on it. Can anyone tell me what tree this is and how best to care for it?
Thanks!

This message has attachments images.
Please log in or register to see it.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Last edit: Post by Judelt. Reason: Too dumb to get it right on the 3rd time!

CABALLERO (Caesalpinia pulcherrinma) OR NOT 10 years 8 months ago #9277

• manofthetrees
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 193
holey crap thats a large tree to dive into bonsai with :P ...anyway i would let it grow out for a season or 2 to get a good root system going. as you can see it reacts well to hard prunning so after unhindered growth branches can be prunned back hard and regrown to achieve taper and charater.

CABALLERO (Caesalpinia pulcherrinma) OR NOT 10 years 8 months ago #9282

• doddsy
  • Thanks received: 16
Looks like a Robinia pseudoacacia.

CABALLERO (Caesalpinia pulcherrinma) OR NOT 10 years 8 months ago #9288

• leatherback
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 3653

Looks like a Robinia pseudoacacia.

Looks like it, but isn't (Unless all of the sudden european species are thriving in the tropics.

I think this might be a dificult one to get a name on over the forum. I am not aware of many members from the filipines..

CABALLERO (Caesalpinia pulcherrinma) OR NOT 10 years 8 months ago #9317

• Judelt
  • Judelt's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thanks received: 1

holey crap thats a large tree to dive into bonsai with :P ...anyway i would let it grow out for a season or 2 to get a good root system going. as you can see it reacts well to hard prunning so after unhindered growth branches can be prunned back hard and regrown to achieve taper and charater.

Thanks manofthetrees and friends! I appreciate the feedback on this inquiry... Yes. It's a big challenge indeed for a newbie. Luckily I have friends and people to help out. I could not let the opportunity pass and so I took it when I saw this tree. Unfortunately, I am finding out from friends in the art that it may not be ideal for bonsai -considering the proportions. Apparently this should be a little bit taller and the leaves may not grow any smaller. Nonetheless, I am challenged to see how this would turn out.

Doddsy may be correct to spot it as a Robinia... I checked out the leaves and they do look identical... I am told that it is an old species and uncommon here. If the species is from Europe, I suppose it was brought by the Spaniards when the colonized the Philippines... I was hoping it would be a fire tree but clearly from the leaves, it may indeed be a Robinia. Thanks Doddsy!

Here it is after prunning and wiring yesterday... we'll see how this goes -fingers crossed.

This message has an attachment image.
Please log in or register to see it.

• Page: