Bonsai forum

• Page:

TOPIC:

Request 10 years 8 months ago #9319

• mnmf.6158
  • mnmf.6158's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thanks received: 0
Hi
please help me. I cultivate oak acorns three month before and now germinate and has 6 centimeter height and 6 leaves.
1-say to me can I keep it indoor and what condition is need?
2-our region climate is continental with constant wind what species I can train outdoor.
3-can I train trident maple or Chinese elm or ficus indoor?

may the joy be with you.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Request 10 years 8 months ago #9320

• pieterbosch
  • Thanks received: 6
Good Morning,
I have four different species of oak in my collection.
Read through the websites section on Oak www.bonsaiempire.com/tree-species/oak, it provides the basics. Leaf reduction is said to be very difficult to non-existent. Therefore it is best to grow a fairly large tree 50 cm plus. Then the leaf size will be in relation with the size of the tree. The exact type of Oak you have also makes a difference. Are there any oaks in your neighbourhood, indigenous or otherwise? They are pretty tough little trees. Keep them out of direct wind, and keep them moist.

The best species to start with is with something from your neighborhood, or even garden. You will learn a lot and may even end up with a Bonsai.

All trees do best outside, Maples and Elms I am not sure if they will like it inside, but I have a few Ficus that have been growing inside under CFL lamps very successfully. Their growth is not as vigorous as outside, but very healthy and strong.

Good Luck and may you have a pleasant journey.
The following user(s) said Thank You: mnmf.6158

Request 10 years 8 months ago #9324

• m5eaygeoff
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 850
You must NEVER keep Oaks or Tridents or Chinese Elms inside. They will not survive for long. The Ficus can be kept in.What country are you in? It helps to put in your profile as there are a lot of countries in the worl and most have different climates.
The Oaks you germinated need to be in the ground for 3 to 5 years to get some growth not in pots.

Request 10 years 8 months ago #9333

• mnmf.6158
I'm from iran .the region I live now has semi desert climate.please say to me its condition if I can keep and train maple and elm outside.becuase I like these species very much.

thank you

Request 10 years 8 months ago #9335

• m5eaygeoff
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
If you do not get any cold periods I think you will have difficulty keeping Maples and Elms as they need cold to go dormant which they must do.
You will be fine with tropical species, though. It may be that you can rig a shade area which you will need if the sun is that strong.
I also think you will have just as much difficulty keeping Oaks, but if you have them it is worth a tyr. But as I said before you must plant in the ground for several years to get some growth and trunk girth. Leaf size will reduce but that is not a consideration until the tree is of a finished size whihc is a long way off

Request 10 years 8 months ago #9344

• chrisv
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Thanks received: 22
Like said above oaks and maples are outdoor trees they won't survive indoor.
Elms can be grown indoor but won't live long if u do.

U say u live in Iran and have a semi desert climate. Continental and windy?
The trees u mentioned need a dormant period to survive and live for years.

Tropical species would be better or look around you and see what trees grow natural in the surrounding area.
There are 2 more species who will maybe tolerate your climate and these are junipers and pines.
But they also do need a dormant period.

To be honest i don't really have a good idea about the temperatures in Iran and the differences in your seasons.
maybe you can tell us.

Request 10 years 8 months ago #9357

• mnmf.6158
hi dear chrisv

thanks for your attention and notice.
I think i coudn't say my intention truly.
here winter is enough cold to go trees to dormancy period.approximatly 4 months.
with this explanation is possible to train maple and elm?

Request 10 years 8 months ago #9358

• m5eaygeoff
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
Yes, I think you could grow both Maples and Elms. Also Oaks and any other hardy tree should be ok. Growing and training are part of the process and the main thing you need to do as I said before is to grow in the ground if you can for at least 3 or 4 years to get some trunk girth. Then you can start to train.

Request 10 years 8 months ago #9359

• leatherback
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 3653
The main worry I have with the species you mention is the heat. afaik Iran can get very dry and hot. Species with delecate foliage, such as japanese maple, will need serious protection against the summer weather. The more temperate species do not have the wax layers on the leaves that semi-desert species have. As such, they dry out much more quickly than their native species.

IF you decide to try and grow these, protect them agains summer sun and wind. a sheltered corned in your garden or court-yard, with a netting above it to reduce solar influx would be the minimum. But even then, I am worried it might not survive the weather.

Which species of Oak do you have? I'd take oak species from the mediteranean, rather than the oaks found more northerly. Cork oak would be a good candidate.

I would probably not grow plants in full ground in your climate. Rather take pots, and move into pots one size larger every time a plant has created a stable root-ball which does not fall apart when lifted from the container. This is the way a lot of tree-growers grow their trees (So-called container grown trees).

Request 10 years 8 months ago #9366

• mnmf.6158
Humidity must be n%?
here humidity is between 30% and 40%.how I can increase it to suite percent for these?

• Page: