Bonsai forum

• Page:

TOPIC:

Giant Sequoia Bonsai, Twig Blight 10 years 8 months ago #9442

• JMoney
  • JMoney's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thanks received: 10
Hello, I have a 5-year-old Giant Sequoia pre Bonsai that I believe I just recently diagnosed with Twig blight. It started this spring with some rust colors on the foliage of the lower branches, then a month later was spreading to the whole tree, with all the tips of old, and new growth drying out and dying. At first I thought it was heat related, since I just recently moved to Las Vegas, and heat can be 115F during the day. So I started watering it twice a day with PH balanced water of 5.8, and foliar spraying it in the morning and evening. This made the problem worse. It was at that time that I realized it was most likely a foliar disease. After some investigation I discovered the causes and conditions of twig blight among giant sequoias around the world. I treated it immediately with Eagle 20EW fungicide and it has now been 5 days. All the new growth seams to be in healthy condition so far.

A Note: All my trees are protected with a 40% UV shade cloth shelter, and watered daily. My Giant sequoia has never had dry soil. I only note this because, the head of my local Bonsai society attempted to tell me a Giant Sequoia could not live in this climate, witch is a false statement. With adequate water, shelter, and nutrition, there is no reason it cannot adapt to this climate. All my other trees have flourished here, including my other Evergreens.

I am curious if anyone else has experienced Twig Blight with a Giant Sequoia, and how did you treat it, and the results?

Thanks in advance for any experience on this matter.

This message has attachments images.
Please log in or register to see it.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Last edit: Post by JMoney.

Giant Sequoia Bonsai, Twig Blight 10 years 8 months ago #9443

• doddsy
  • Thanks received: 16
Hi there, I also have a sequoia its about 7 years old. Last summer was pretty hot for my area so i started watering my sequoia more also, which resulted in what looks very similar to your problem. So went back to my normal watering and after a month or so it went back to its usual green self. Also of point, young sequoias will turn a brown colour in colder climates in winter, and revert back heading back to summer. Good luck.

Giant Sequoia Bonsai, Twig Blight 10 years 8 months ago #9489

• JMoney
  • JMoney's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thanks received: 10
Thank you, also I'm curious what kind of soil mix you use for yours, and how do you water? Do you water it like a juniper, or let the soil get almost dry?

Giant Sequoia Bonsai, Twig Blight 10 years 8 months ago #9494

• doddsy
  • Thanks received: 16
I use basic potting mix with perite and spagnam moss mixed in, Sequoia's are not particulary fussy when it comes to soil. With watering, the sequoia is the most thursty tree i've known. Usually mine needs water daily throu out spring, summer, autumn, I've found that it needs wet soil but not soaking. Last year when i had the problem like yours i was watering it daily till water poored out the drainage holes, it didn't like that, it prefers less but more often. But don't let it dry out. I water in the evening. In winter it gets watered up to 3 times a week depending on the weather of course. But after saying all this, your climate is different to mine,but i hope this helps.
The following user(s) said Thank You: JMoney

• Page: