Bonsai forum

• Page:

TOPIC:

how do you get a canopy to become thicker? 10 years 8 months ago #9474

• Marvel170
  • Marvel170's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thanks received: 0
hey guys,
so in my second to last post I had said that I got a little Chinese Elm and I said that the canopy is a mess and that it needs to be thickened and modified. I was wondering what would be a good time to work on this and when/if I should defoliate to thicken up the branches?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

how do you get a canopy to become thicker? 10 years 8 months ago #9475

• m5eaygeoff
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 855
Defoliation will not thicken the canopy. The canopy may need to be changed, but not thickened. You need to show us what it looks like to get a better idea what you mean.

how do you get a canopy to become thicker? 10 years 8 months ago #9479

• leatherback
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 3654
Hi Marvel,

Defoliating results in buds along the branches to open up, and create side branches. This will lead to more smaller branches. I *Think* this is not what you are after in this stage. It is a technique for refining the tree canopy, and increasign ramnifications.

If you want a specific branch to grow faster then the rest you normally let uit grow out. In very basic terms: Adding leaves to the branch increases thickness.

For a recent purchase it is often best to make sure you keep it alive and growing for a year or so before doing major work. THen:

- Select which branches you want to keep (And where you would like to position them)
- Remove the other branches (Unless required to ad taper to trunk or branches)
- (defoliate for easier access, or in winter) wire branches and place them correctly
- Before mid-summer trim branches that should not thicken up. Let the branches to thicken just grow on
- After leav fall, trim sacrifice section off

how do you get a canopy to become thicker? 10 years 8 months ago #9483

• m5eaygeoff
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 855
The point of defoliation is to reduce leaf size. It puts a huge stress on the tree and should only be done on a tree which has not been re potted that year and is growing strongly and is healthy. It is also only done on trees which are finished or close to finished state.
Im my opinion it is too stressful, and I only ever do a partial that is I only remove the larger leaves.To get a branch or the trunk to thicken the branch is allowed to grow without pruning. I have a Hornbeam in the ground which this year the top has grown over 4 feet in length. I want the trunk to thicken as much as possible to the autumn, then I will cut back. This tree will be dug up and into apot next spring.

how do you get a canopy to become thicker? 10 years 8 months ago #9484

• ironhorse
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Thanks received: 72
My chinese elm had been in a bonsai pot for 5 years or more, root pruned a few times in this period. In preparation for a re-style I put it into a bucket sized pot 3 months ago and the growth since then has been amazing. Just let the tree grow wild for a time then trim back to the desired shape before repotting

Dave

how do you get a canopy to become thicker? 10 years 8 months ago #9485

• manofthetrees
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 193

The point of defoliation is to reduce leaf size.

this is not totally true.the point of defoliation is to awaken dormant and fresh buds which in turn creates new branches.these new branches create more leaves than previously on the tree and more leaves mean more suface area for sunlight to be captured.the energy needs of the tree are met with more leaves so they dont need to be as large...so yes defoliation does reduce leave size but the point is finer branching with shorter internodes

how do you get a canopy to become thicker? 10 years 8 months ago #9488

• leatherback
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 3654

...so yes defoliation does reduce leave size but the point is finer branching with shorter internodes

Exactly. Didn't want to re-state my prvious points.

how do you get a canopy to become thicker? 10 years 8 months ago #9491

• Marvel170
Thanks guys :) It's just I don't really know what to do with this tree it looks like the people at the bonsai house(name of the store I got it from) was letting grow some shoots. The ramification of the tree is great the leave size is already small, it's just the tree had a lot of dead branches. I really wish I could find my camera so I can show you guys, I'll try and find that tonight and see if I can take a few pictures. The tree doesn't look like it has been repotted recently.

how do you get a canopy to become thicker? 10 years 8 months ago #9495

• Marvel170
I wasn't able to find my camera yet so I took these with my 3DS, sorry about the quality :S

This message has attachments images.
Please log in or register to see it.

how do you get a canopy to become thicker? 10 years 8 months ago #9496

• Marvel170
I took the pictures from all angles so you guys could get an idea of what I'm working with, all those bare branches are living and some if you look closely have new leaves coming in, I have already removed the dead branches from the tree(I did that after I bought it like a week ago) before I took these photos a few minutes ago XD

• Page: