Bonsai forum

• Page:

TOPIC:

Indoor Cherry bonsai 10 years 7 months ago #9649

• Marvel170
  • Marvel170's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thanks received: 0
Hey guys so I have acquired another tree without my meaning to, I took my Step-Grandfather out to a bonsai shop because he is also interested in bonsai and he bought this cute little cherry tree that said it was an indoor tree and was actually in the shop. So he took it home and I repotted it because it was in a plastic pot and he had bought a pot for it and so I trimmed the roots and used the bonsai soil that he also bought. Well it has been about 2 weeks and it has started drying up for some reason. He didn't want it to die on his hands so he gave it back to me and asked me to take care of it and bring it back to health. So I guess my question is what kind of cherry tree is it? The lady that sold it to him said that it has pink flowers i'll try and get some picks before I have to go to work so you guys can get an idea.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Indoor Cherry bonsai 10 years 7 months ago #9650

• m5eaygeoff
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 855
It helps to know what country you are in firstly, and a picture also would help. Re potting in the middle of summer is not a good idea, unless it was absolutely nexessary should not have been done. How has it been watered since you have had it? You must not water to a schedule, but when it is needed.
Most cherries are not indoor plants, so if it were mine it would not be inside.

Indoor Cherry bonsai 10 years 7 months ago #9652

• leatherback
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 3654
Put it outside. Shelter it against strong wind & sun. Check the foliage carefully for spider mites.

Cherries are a temperate plant group from the rosacea, and will always die inside. They need the seasons, and -as all plants- prefer the moist air outside.

Repotting has probably done the deed in this case. Repotting in mid-summer is certainly possible, but you need to know what you are doing, provide the right aftercare, and do it at the right time for the tree, bot on your calender.

Indoor Cherry bonsai 10 years 7 months ago #9653

• Marvel170
I live in the USA, in Michigan. The tree is outside, I had to repot it because it was in a plastic pot and the soil was very bad drainage wise. I was wondering what kind of after care was need for this tree, I have kept it from strong winds and sun, I think my step grandfather might have been watering it too much.. Knowing my grandma she would've watered it even when it didn't need to be watered.. It has been so wet that I haven't had to water it and it just got rained on last night. There are not any bugs on it that I can see.

Indoor Cherry bonsai 10 years 7 months ago #9654

• m5eaygeoff
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
I have to agree, and a plastic pot is not a problem unless it had no holes. You need to be careful with the watering, allow to almost dry between watering. and cross your fingers and hope. Don't worry about "bugs" they would be the least of the problems.

Indoor Cherry bonsai 10 years 7 months ago #9655

• Marvel170
Here are a few pics of the tree, I just took these pictures a few minutes ago.. The second picture is what I'm talking about when I say the leaves just dry up and then the branch also is drying up. I cut off the other dead branches so that the tree can focus it's energy on the living branches. Please also note the pictures of the foliage, I have never seen this kind of foliage on a cherry tree before, so I am asking. What kind of cherry tree is this and how would I care for it?

This message has attachments images.
Please log in or register to see it.

Indoor Cherry bonsai 10 years 7 months ago #9659

• m5eaygeoff
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
It could be anything, Inhopr it is not indoors, it must be outside.

Indoor Cherry bonsai 10 years 7 months ago #9667

• Marvel170
In my last post I said it got rained on, I have had it outside since I got it. I think that maybe part of the problem because I have been trying to dry it out so I have had it in full sun and I think that maybe what is drying out the leaves. So I put it on the OUTSIDE window sill where it is protected from strong winds and the scorching afternoon sun since it has been unnaturally warm here in Michigan these past few weeks. It still gets sun in the mornings and evenings, and I water all my other bonsai not on a schedule but only when they are dry.

Indoor Cherry bonsai 10 years 7 months ago #9676

• manofthetrees
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 193
I was thinking maybe its a Barbados cherry which is tropical and can be kept indoors but the leaves aren't quite right it almost looks like some kind of willow tree .looks to be growing again so that's good

Indoor Cherry bonsai 10 years 7 months ago #9680

• Marvel170
Yeah I was thinking something tropical too I've never seen leaves like this on a cherry tree before.. Is it possible for it to be a weeping cherry tree?

• Page: