Bonsai forum

• Page:

TOPIC:

Zelkova leaves turning black 12 years 9 months ago #673

• katblair
  • katblair's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thanks received: 0
Hello-

I'm new to Bonsai, I just got my first tree on Friday 7/8, and I have a question. The tree I have is a Zelkova. It's been fine until two days ago when a number of the leaves started to turn black, I'm not sure what this could be. It seems to be affecting old leaves, and new leaves. I've added a picture of the tree in question, and one of the leaves. I couldn't get a good picture of the leaves on the tree. Any help would be appreciated. I'm not sure what to do. I purchased this tree from a bonsai grower as an indoor tree.

Katie

This message has attachments images.
Please log in or register to see it.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re: Zelkova leaves turning black 12 years 9 months ago #697

• manofthetrees
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 193
howdy katie,

are the leaves totaly black or are they spots? it seems odd to me that they would just go from green to black...if they are spots then it is a fungus and you should remove it immediatly from the area you have any other trees.

Re: Zelkova leaves turning black 12 years 9 months ago #714

• Leslie
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 7
Hi Katie...it's nice to meet you! :)

You're right...it is difficult to see the black in these photos however, I can vaguely see two leaves in the lower, right hand corner in the first photo. Is there any chance of getting a more direct, close up photo of them? I think *manofthetrees* may be right about the fungus. You've only had this tree for a week?...I'd be tempted to take it back to the grower and get my money back because it's quite likely that his other trees are infected as well. Is there another place nearby where you could purchase a bonsai? Good luck!

Leslie

Re: Zelkova leaves turning black 12 years 8 months ago #715

• katblair
  • katblair's Avatar Topic Author
I bought from a well respected bonsai grower in my area. I was able to take it in to him today. It isn't spots it is starting at the tips and working their way down or in. He exaimed it and thinks it will be fine. I seem to have overwatered it a bit and it is also in a bit of shock going from his nice greenhouse to my house. If it doesn't get better he said to bring it back in. I also moved it to a sunny spot in my house. I'll see if I can get a better picture.

Re: Zelkova leaves turning black 12 years 8 months ago #798

• BassandBonsai
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
Hmmmm, I thought leaves turned yellow when they had water issues... but then I don't have a Zelkova. It's great that you have an experienced person to go to! :lol: But, yeah, mess around with the watering schedule a bit until you find what your tree likes. I still feel really bad about one. Dad was going to scrap a mulberry tree growing out of his hedge and I took it and potted it up, however I didn't water it enough and I'm still hoping it'll grow its leaves back. :oops: I changed the watering schedule and all of my other trees seem to like it, but water is really important. Then again, I live in central Indiana, and earlier today it was 96 degrees Fahrenheit. I've had to step up my watering to 8 in the morning, noon, and 8 at night for my outdoor plants, and I make sure to sprinkle the surrounding foliage as well, since I don't want the little blueberry bush to go the way of the grass! :pinch:
Good luck with your Zelkova!

• Page: