Bonsai forum

• Page:

TOPIC:

Beginner 10 years 5 months ago #9951

• Mariopaul
  • Mariopaul's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thanks received: 1
Hello every one. I'm Mario. I'm new to the art of Bonsai. I bought myself a bonsai last weekend. After months of deliberating I finally decided to get one.

I've enclosed a couple of pics. Any tips and knowledge that you can pass on would be awesome.

Look forward to your replies.

This message has attachments images.
Please log in or register to see it.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Beginner 10 years 5 months ago #9952

• m5eaygeoff
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 850
First question, where are you? What country, makes a lot of difference.
Next I hope that you have this tree outside not in. Next the wire looks very badly done and needs to be removed. The next thing is for you to learn how to water the tree. Do not water to a schedule, check the tree every day to see if it is dry, then when it is water well.
The bottom branch on the right in the second picture could be removed, and if it was mine I would remove the two inside branches on the left where the one with the wire is. This would open up the tree. However it is your tree and you need to think about what you want to do with it before taking any decision as you can't stick them back on after.
But before you do anything tell us where you live.
Geoff

Beginner 10 years 5 months ago #9953

• Mariopaul
Living in New Zealand and yes the plant is outside. i also don't believe in watering to a schedule. when the plant needs a drink i give it one. I have thought about removing the bottom branch also but was more or less needing confirmation.. As i am self teaching and learning can you point me in the right direction on how to wire a bonsai

Beginner 10 years 5 months ago #9954

• ironhorse
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Thanks received: 72
Have a look at the 'wiring' section under 'basics' on this site - strongly recommend though you use proper bonsai wire cutters to remove the old stuff, they are designed specifically for this purpose. Not expensive, I paid about £9 for mine from Amazon.

Dave

Beginner 10 years 5 months ago #9955

• m5eaygeoff
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 850
Right you are doing things properly, as has been said remove the wire, it does not look so thick that you could not unwind it but if you can get wire cutter you might find it easier. Fertilising from now on through your spring and summer will help, use a balanced one, I don't know what you have available in NZ but you should be able to find one. If you find a granular one thenonce a minth, if liquid then evry 2 weeks and then in late summer change to a low nitrogen one.

Beginner 10 years 5 months ago #9956

• Mariopaul
Awesome, thanks for the advice. I have a good pair of cutters that I purchased from the nursery where I bought the plant, pot and rocks.

Beginner 10 years 5 months ago #9957

• Mariopaul
Thanks on the advice on the fertiliser. I shall look at the instructional video on how to wire and re-wire my bonsai

• Page: