Bonsai forum

• Page:

TOPIC:

styling 2 junipers ive had growing in 2gallon pots 10 years 5 months ago #9971

• benw3790
  • benw3790's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thanks received: 0
I got two junipers I'be had since march 2012. theyve been in these larger pots since march of this year.I live in eastern united states. Not sure which zone. I'm pretty sure there procumbus Nanas?? "Blue star" juniper? I got them at a garden center. I know a lot of ppl will say to keep them in the pots, let them get fatter. I will, but I feel like they could be ready for another styling. I pruned them a little when I got them already. But I'm just wanting some input and opinions on styling and ,maybe, what you would do? One of them has a bad inverse taper I tried to show it in the pics. I hope you guys can tell what pics belong to what tree. But ANY help or criticism is very much wanted and appeciated!! Thanks! The first four pics should be one tree (the one with inverse taper in the trunk). And the next, the other tree.(thinner, more branches)

This message has attachments images.
Please log in or register to see it.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Last edit: Post by benw3790. Reason: left info out.

styling 2 junipers ive had growing in 2gallon pots 10 years 5 months ago #9972

• chrisv
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Thanks received: 22
Hello

First of all if you want to fatten them you should put them in the ground for several years. This will be a much better way as they won't do that in pots fast.

On picture 1 I would remove both side branches and buid the tree with just the main trunk going upwards. it has the most movement and as i can see on the picture enough branches and foliage to build the tree.

On picture 5 I would remove the top part of the upward going branch and the right one and try to get the foliage closer to the trunk.
Maybe go for semi cascade.

it's just my opinion good luck!

styling 2 junipers ive had growing in 2gallon pots 10 years 5 months ago #9973

• benw3790
  • benw3790's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thanks received: 0

Hello

First of all if you want to fatten them you should put them in the ground for several years. This will be a much better way as they won't do that in pots fast.

On picture 1 I would remove both side branches and buid the tree with just the main trunk going upwards. it has the most movement and as i can see on the picture enough branches and foliage to build the tree.

On picture 5 I would remove the top part of the upward going branch and the right one and try to get the foliage closer to the trunk.
Maybe go for semi cascade.

it's just my opinion good luck!

Hey, chrisv! Thanks for sharing your opinion, I really appreciate it! 38 views so far, and nobody has said anything but you, so I am grateful. This is what I ended up doing with them.. Pictures will be attached. For the tree that was in picture #5 in the last post,I thinned it out a little bit. And I did cut one of that branches (left branch) but I created a Jin out of it.what's your opinion on that? And will it still affect the reverse taper? Or if the wood dies and stops growing it'll be fine? Not really sure about the jin. On the other tree though, instead of going with your opinion I kept all the branches. Because for some reason, I'm just really digging the branch placement lol I've never had a juniper with such good branch placement right away. Its not the best, don't get me wrong. It needs be improved. But I think I want to keep it informal upright.not too much experience with cascading styles. I wired some of the branches and shaped up the "pads" a little but I would, maybe like to shorten the apex, as I am going for a shohin/Mame style. I'm going to keep them in these pots, for now, for this reason. Still might put them in the ground later, who knows? But thanks for reading and sharing your thoughts and opinions! Its hard to get feed back so thank you!

This message has attachments images.
Please log in or register to see it.

• Page: