Bonsai forum

• Page:

TOPIC:

Elm tree 10 years 5 months ago #9999

• davef908
  • davef908's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thanks received: 0
I have an elm tree thats about 20 years old. It lost all it's leaves three months ago. There are only a few leaves on it now. The person we got it from kept it inside by a window. We bought it in June or July of this year. What can be done to get the leaves to grow back?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Elm tree 10 years 5 months ago #10001

• JMoney
  • Thanks received: 10
What kind of pot is it in, and for how long? What kind of soil or medium is it in? How often do you water it? How much sun does it get per day? Is it inside or outside? If outside what temperature swings does it have? Has it been fertilized lately? All these are questions that hold the answer to the problem. Try and post some pictures.

Elm tree 10 years 5 months ago #10002

• m5eaygeoff
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 850
What country are you in? Sounds like the plant should not be inside. That is the reason for the leaf loss at the wrong time of year, unless you are in the southern hemisphere that is.
You say elm, but there are many different species of elm, the best thing is a picture. If you are able to put it outside in a sheltered spot, keep it watered when it needs to be, that is check daily and don't water if it is still damp. You don't say where you have the plant, but a picture speaks a thousand words, and tell us where you are,
Geoff

Elm tree 10 years 5 months ago #10003

• davef908
  • davef908's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thanks received: 0
I live in northern Indiana. The pot is about twelve inches in diameter. About 6 inches deep. It gets watered when the soil gets dry. We bought it a yard sale. I do not remember where he said he kept it. It is now kept in our sunroom. It sets on a table and gets about 4 hours of direct sunlight. The rest of the time it gets indirect light due to the fact that we have a large numbers oak trees surrounding our house. It has not been repotted. I will try and post a picture at later date.

I kept outside then brought it in. That is when it lost all it's leaves. Does this type of tree loose it's leaves at a particular time?

• Page: