Bonsai forum

• Page:

TOPIC:

Growing a bonsai on a stone 10 years 3 months ago #10201

• tsimon
  • Thanks received: 2
Good day, Dave:

Thanks for the kind words....actually the process evolved through trial and error and took the better part of a year...bascially I thought of using a mixture of heavy metal salts dissolved in ethyl alcohol. I then went through many iterations of using a small paint brush to paint first the "water" and then the "waves." For the waves I utilized zinc titanium oxide and for the water I used a mixture of chromium, copper, and nickel oxide, hydroxide, and nitrate. I think I painted the suiban 15 or 20 times before I came upon a pattern of water and waves that I liked. After thorough drying, I sprayed composition (water side only) with a clear acrylic lacquer. I hope this helps to answer your question.

In retrospect, I am not sure whether I could duplicate the process :-)

Best regards,
Tom
The following user(s) said Thank You: ironhorse

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Growing a bonsai on a stone 10 years 3 months ago #10207

• Neli
  • Thanks received: 6

i have been expieramenting with this subject. I have been using ficus natalensis cuttings, they are root over rock plantings but I have started the cuttings and planted them in the rock hollow and have let the roots grow down naturally.

moisture is a big issue. I place the planting in pots or saucers. I have found using muck and moss to breach the space between the water in the pot/saucer and the rock hollow works well.the moss wicks water and keeps the tree soil moist longer and makes watering easier. the roots of the ficus follow the moss to the water below which makes root placement easier

any chance we can see a pic of the rock?

I would like to ask do the roots of the fig actually reach the water and grow in it. I have seen those penjings with figs and water under on stones but could not figure out if the roots are actually in the water.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Page: