Bonsai forum

Salix from cuttings. Poss.massive error: v.v.new

• wordsintosound
  • Offline Topic Author
  • Thanks received: 0

Salix from cuttings. Poss.massive error: v.v.new was created by wordsintosound

Posted 10 years 3 months ago #10291
Hello!
Trying my hand at bonsai, started on a semi-whim about a month and a half ago...

Took a mixture of willow cuttings- 2 species being babylonica and matsudana tortuosa- i think

Now... I'm thinking possibly now i've made rather a few errors.
Firstly, taking the cuttings in late november/ early december
Secondly and this is slightly more embarressing- the cuttings were planted entirely under the soil :/

Though they seem to be growing well.
Of five planted 3 are as shown in the photos as they are currently... and i'm growing them indoors.

My original question was when to start pruning and wiring them, obviously they're very young now and this is of course whether my method used will ever make for successful bonsai.

Any help will be much much appreciated

Thank you in advance :)
This image is hidden for guests.
Please log in or register to see it.

by wordsintosound

This message has attachments images.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• stiple
  • Thanks received: 9

Replied by stiple on topic Salix from cuttings. Poss.massive error: v.v.new

Posted 10 years 3 months ago #10292
What kind of light are you providing it? I recently received a bare rooted dormant cutting/sapling, and have also been growing it indoors under a few big cfl lights (2 400w equivalent)

I wouldn't start pruning or wiring it until the growth turns woody.
Last Edit:10 years 3 months ago by stiple
Last edit: 10 years 3 months ago by stiple.
The following user(s) said Thank You: wordsintosound

• wordsintosound
  • Offline Topic Author
  • Thanks received: 0

Replied by wordsintosound on topic Salix from cuttings. Poss.massive error: v.v.new

Posted 10 years 3 months ago #10293
Cheers on the woody growth heads up, thought as much but don't want it to get 10ft tall before it turns woody!
as far as light goes nada, they're in a well lit room with ample sunlight (as much as there is in winter england) Would you suggest grow lights? have you been growing bonsai long?
by wordsintosound

• stiple
  • Thanks received: 9

Replied by stiple on topic Salix from cuttings. Poss.massive error: v.v.new

Posted 10 years 3 months ago #10294
It doesn't have to get 10ft tall before it turns woody, after it finishes one spurt of growth and it starts to strengthen up. It would take a few years to start thickening up, but it looks like its a decent start.

I would suggest keeping it under as much light as you can (but it might be ok to just stay alive for a few months under low light) while you wait out the winter, and to plant it outside for a year after spring hits.

Give us some updates after a few months to see how its growing.

I've been growing starter material for pre-bonsai hydroponically indoors for a little over a year now.
by stiple
The following user(s) said Thank You: wordsintosound

• m5eaygeoff
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 855

Replied by m5eaygeoff on topic Salix from cuttings. Poss.massive error: v.v.new

Posted 10 years 3 months ago #10296
You should have this outside. The cuttings are becoming drawn and not healthy. They are not getting anywhere near enough light. They should not be growing at the moment, in winter.
You can cut down tall growth, but as far as working you will be 5 years before you can do much with them. I would plant them in the ground to get them growing as quickly as possible. No wiring and not much pruning for the first year or two. In the summer they need a lot of water.
What country are you in and where?
by m5eaygeoff

• manofthetrees
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 193

Replied by manofthetrees on topic Salix from cuttings. Poss.massive error: v.v.new

Posted 10 years 3 months ago #10313
if you have willows in your area that you can take larger cuttings from this would be your best bet. in spring look over the trees for some interesting trunks within the branches.once the leaves are fully out cut them and put them in water until roots start to grow. by mid summer they should have enough roots to be planted in soil (or the ground if you have a place) willow species are great root producers I have had logs from a fallen tree start growing
by manofthetrees