Identification help either ficus or ligustrum

Rendering Error in layout User/Profile: Class "KunenaFactory" not found. Please enable debug mode for more information.

Identification help either ficus or ligustrum was created by username

Posted 10 years 2 months ago #10389
Hello everyone,
On a whim I've decided to buy a bonsai tree. I know nothing of botany, however I am willing to learn. I really hope this develops into a hobby, its always good to have a variety of interests.
I wandered into home depot one day and stumbled onto this strange looking creature. I ran into an issue however with identifying the specimen. It looks to be either a ficus or a ligustrum and would really appreciate someone to properly identify it.
Attached are some pictures of my new pet, and if someone could take time to give me some pointers I would appreciate it. The tree has some odd substance on the leaves, either its dust or some pesticide I do not know.
The one thing that concerns me however is that it seems to have been cut before, but that stump has demonstrated growth so I guess its still alive.
I moved it to a different pot, and some fruit flies came out. Probably an important tidbit to know.
My questions are, what species is it, any special things I should know about the species and if it can be saved. Also I would like to know if its a tree or a shrub.
Thank you for your time, your patience and knowledge is something that is very much appreciated. I wish you all happy growing!
by username

This message has attachments images.
Please log in or register to see it.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Identification help either ficus or ligustrum - Bonsai forum

Bonsai forum

Rendering Error in layout User/Profile: Class "KunenaFactory" not found. Please enable debug mode for more information.

Replied by m5eaygeoff on topic Identification help either ficus or ligustrum

Posted 10 years 2 months ago #10390
It is a ficus, the roots are the clue. Why did you re pot? Where are you keeping it? How do you intend to water? Fruit flies are not important, nor is dust.
In its natural habitat it will grow big, but in a small pot it will not.
This plant is not yet bonsai it has years to go to be called bonsai, but it is a start.
by m5eaygeoff
The following user(s) said Thank You: username

Replied by username on topic Identification help either ficus or ligustrum

Posted 10 years 2 months ago #10396
thank you for the quick response. I appreciate it. how can you tell by the roots?
I repotted it because of the bugs. I wouldn't mind it becoming a little bigger as well. I am keepng it about 2 feet from a southern window, I will move closer once the winter is over. I also am running a humidifier in the room for both me and the plant.
thank you for your time and expertise.
by username

Replied by m5eaygeoff on topic Identification help either ficus or ligustrum

Posted 10 years 2 months ago #10397
The thick roots that are almost aeriel roots. are typical of the Ficus genera. It will not get any bigger in a small pot. Tou would need to put it into a much bigger pot for that.
by m5eaygeoff