Bonsai forum

serissa foetida

• spin
  • Offline Topic Author
  • Thanks received: 0

serissa foetida was created by spin

Posted 9 years 11 months ago #10770
Today I bought a 3-4 year old serissa foetida bonsai, which this site described as, "not a good choice for beginners in temperate climates." Unfortunately, I am indeed a beginner in a temperate climate :c

I think that this little tree is lovely, and I'd really hate to see it die-- how difficult is this plant? Should I be accepting defeat and attempting to return it, or should I be fine if I'm careful to follow the instructions provided on this site?

(Also, if this doesn't seem impossible, how important is styling? I personally don't mind the current shape, but I'm happy to change the style for its health!)

Thanks in advance for any and all input-- spin
by spin

This message has an attachment image.
Please log in or register to see it.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• m5eaygeoff
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 855

Replied by m5eaygeoff on topic serissa foetida

Posted 9 years 11 months ago #10771
It looks a reasonable plant. What country are you in? You need to lean how to water properly. Watering should be when needed not to a schedule. Check the soil every day and water when almost dry. Use a chopstick to see. Add fertiliser about every 2 to 3 weeks, and keep the long shoots trimmed. The style is what it is and as a novice you will need to keep it as it is until you know how to change it. Don't change for the hell of it.
Geoff.
by m5eaygeoff

• spin
  • Offline Topic Author
  • Thanks received: 0

Replied by spin on topic serissa foetida

Posted 9 years 11 months ago #10772
I'm in the USA-- just on the border of Zones 6b & 7a in Pennsylvania.

It's in fine gravel; will the chopstick trick still work? I've just been going by the soil's color & feel for the last day. I've watered it twice so far, but probably no more than 60/70ml at a time.

I'm glad to hear the styling can wait until I know what I'm doing! Am I in danger of shocking the plant if I trim too many of the shoots at once? It says it can withstand aggressive pruning, but I'd hate to overdo it...

Thanks kindly for taking time to answer c: --spin
by spin

• m5eaygeoff
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 855

Replied by m5eaygeoff on topic serissa foetida

Posted 9 years 11 months ago #10773
I am surprised it is in gravel. Not a good material, I would think the chopstick test would work but I am not sure you would have to water then put it in. When you water you need to pour on until it runs out then a bit more. Let it drain and put it back in the brightest spot you can.
There should be no need for aggressive pruning, if done in time.
Geoff.
by m5eaygeoff
The following user(s) said Thank You: spin