Bonsai forum

zelkova serrata

• Lee Beckett
  • Offline Topic Author
  • Thanks received: 5

zelkova serrata was created by Lee Beckett

Posted 9 years 5 months ago #13657
hi people, i have 9 zelkovas, there only just over a year old, and have been grown inside.
its coming up to summer here now and have been placing them outside during the day and bringing them back in at night for about a month, how long should i do this before i leave them out 24/7? its 20oc during the day and around 8oc at night? im hoping to plant them outside so they can one day become a bonsai, thank you for any help
by Lee Beckett

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• bob
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 175

Replied by bob on topic zelkova serrata

Posted 9 years 5 months ago #13659
Well, i had a very simular problem with my oaks in spring so i just chucked 'em out and so they thrived. I would sy the main problem would be the upcoming winter. But if i were you i would leave them outside under some protection. I think they would be fine especially that summers close where you are. But i would also advise to wait for further posts.
by bob

• Lee Beckett
  • Offline Topic Author

Replied by Lee Beckett on topic zelkova serrata

Posted 9 years 5 months ago #13661
did you keep them in pots or did you plant them out? my wife thinks im sad because im worry so much about them dying!! how are your oaks doing now? thanks for your feedback
by Lee Beckett

• m5eaygeoff
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 855

Replied by m5eaygeoff on topic zelkova serrata

Posted 9 years 5 months ago #13662
Put them out they will not hurt. The sooner you do the better. As for potting on not re potting you can do that whenever you like, just do not disturb the roots go int a larger pot to give them 2 or 3 years growing.
by m5eaygeoff

• bob
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member

Posted 9 years 5 months ago #13663
My oaks are doing fine (thanks for asking ;) ) they ar about a three years old now in pots. I volunteered for my local park and am growing the oaks fo the park due to the fact that they are home to a wide range of wildlife. They are about 70cm tall now.
Last Edit:9 years 5 months ago by bob
Last edit: 9 years 5 months ago by bob.

• Lee Beckett
  • Offline Topic Author

Replied by Lee Beckett on topic zelkova serrata

Posted 9 years 5 months ago #13665
i think ill plant half out in the garden and the other in large pots, if it gets really cold during winter i can always bring them in, i read somewhere if i plant the in the garden to put a thick layer of sand/grit about 8 inches around the roots, to make it easier when the time comes to dig it up,? i think this might be way to early to think about this?
by Lee Beckett

• bob
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member

Posted 9 years 5 months ago #13667
I guess it will be logical to plant out half if the winter does get really severe. As for the 8 inch of sand and gravel i dont know about that.
by bob

• leatherback
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 3654

Replied by leatherback on topic zelkova serrata

Posted 9 years 5 months ago #13689
You can place them outside without any problem now. Just if you do get a late frost, cover them for the night (With a cloth or upside down ceramic pot).

If you do plant them outside, consider placing flat surface under the roots. Ideally you lift them again next yeat or the year after, to trim the roots back.

Please update your profile to reflect your location, as many here are on the Northern hemisphere, and we are about to enter winter.

The adding of gravel is claimed to be beneficial for surface root development. I am not sure it does work. I personally just work on the roots every 2-3 years to keep them in check. (Development is a bit slower, but it works)
Last Edit:9 years 5 months ago by leatherback
Last edit: 9 years 5 months ago by leatherback.