Bonsai forum

ID my Bonsai..... Picked it up at a garage sale.

• leatherback
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 3654

Replied by leatherback on topic ID my Bonsai..... Picked it up at a garage sale.

Posted 9 years 3 months ago #14201

Marvel170 wrote: I disagree any tree can become a bonsai. The word Bonsai translates to tree in a pot, it does not say the size of the tree or plant that is in the pot. So there for you can make your bonsai however big or small you want( and it won't damage the health of the tree).

{rant on}
Grmpf. Just translating words does not work. You have to translate the meaning. And it means much, much more than just 'any woody plant chucked in a pot'. If you seriously do not realize this, you have not matured past the beginners phase, and you are in serious need ot visiting some good bonsai shows.
{rant off}

A good explanation was giving why this plant is not suitable to start working on for bonsai. Please let's give people just starting out the right advice, so that they in 5 years time look back and say: I cannot believe I wanted to start with that plant. Rather than: Why did nobody tell me? I just wasted 5 years.
by leatherback

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Auk
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 1791

Replied by Auk on topic ID my Bonsai..... Picked it up at a garage sale.

Posted 9 years 3 months ago #14204

Marvel170 wrote: I disagree any tree can become a bonsai.

Apart from that being absolutely untrue, it is not a tree. It's a plant. While I do not know the exact species, it looks like a vine, the type that is sold growing along moss poles. As you can see on the photo, it hardly forms a trunk and has little branching. While I don't think it is an Epipremnum, it seems to have about the same growth habit.
The lack of a trunk, the large leaves and the very large leaf stems make this a plant that is not suitable for bonsai.
Also, it is not a good choice for an accent plant.
Last Edit:9 years 3 months ago by Auk
Last edit: 9 years 3 months ago by Auk.

• bob
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 175

Replied by bob on topic ID my Bonsai..... Picked it up at a garage sale.

Posted 9 years 3 months ago #14205
I have to say, i agree with auk an leatherback, the meaning of bonsai is much more thn the translation. However, you can create ART with it however you wish (my not not be bonsai but still art), therefore you can still have fun wih it. I have an idea of what it may be though. To leatherback and auk and alain1983 (who i think were th people on thread from a while back maybe in august. On the thread, i remember alain1983, auk and leatherback talking about ficus that have the same kind of root as ficus ginseng, but was less smooth. I remember that the ficus with the look a like root (of f. Ginseng) but less smooth was ficus n... Something.
Last Edit:9 years 3 months ago by bob
Last edit: 9 years 3 months ago by bob.

• leatherback
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 3654

Replied by leatherback on topic ID my Bonsai..... Picked it up at a garage sale.

Posted 9 years 3 months ago #14206

bob wrote: I have an idea of what it may be though. To leatherback and auk and alain1983 (who i think were th people on thread from a while back maybe in august. On the thread, i remember alain1983, auk and leatherback talking about ficus that have the same kind of root as ficus ginseng, but was less smooth. I remember that the ficus with the look a like root (of f. Ginseng) but less smooth was ficus n... Something.

Been smoking again Bob?
by leatherback

• bob
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member

Posted 9 years 3 months ago #14207
Ha ha. No, really, i remember you trying to identify a ficus with the same fat roots as f.ginseng. However the ficus in that thread had fat roots which were kind of barky, basically what the ficus (pressuming) on this thread looks like. You also said it was a ficus n (something but it began with an n). And the plant in thisbthread looks a lot like the one in that thread with the fat surface roots which was a ficus n...
by bob

• Auk
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member

Posted 9 years 3 months ago #14208

bob wrote: I remember that the ficus with the look a like root (of f. Ginseng) but less smooth was ficus n... Something.

That would be Ficus Nerifolia, I guess? That's not what this is.
by Auk

• bob
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member

Posted 9 years 3 months ago #14209
No, not nerii, the leaves are too thin, it was a ficus with big swollen like roots like ginseng but was more corky.
by bob

• PilotMan
  • Offline Topic Author
  • Thanks received: 0

Replied by PilotMan on topic ID my Bonsai..... Picked it up at a garage sale.

Posted 9 years 3 months ago #14210
I can take closeups of any part..... at any magnification if it helps...... Have a lens that can get microscopic if necessary. :blink:

bob wrote: Ha ha. No, really, i remember you trying to identify a ficus with the same fat roots as f.ginseng. However the ficus in that thread had fat roots which were kind of barky, basically what the ficus (pressuming) on this thread looks like. You also said it was a ficus n (something but it began with an n). And the plant in thisbthread looks a lot like the one in that thread with the fat surface roots which was a ficus n...

by PilotMan

• Auk
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member

Posted 9 years 3 months ago #14212
I think people on this forum will know more about tree-species, especially the ones that are usually used for bonsai, and maybe a bit about accent plants that are frequently used for bonsai.

For your plant, I would suggest to try a forum with people that are more knowledgeable about house plants / tropical plants, like this one: forums.gardenweb.com/forums/tropical/
by Auk

• bob
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member

Posted 9 years 3 months ago #14214
Sorry for the confusion, i confused myself :D, it's fine, no more pics needed, just a hunch i got...
by bob