Bonsai forum

• Page:

TOPIC:

Can someone help me ID my tree? 9 years 3 months ago #14259

• marthz
  • marthz's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thanks received: 0
Hi all! I just bought it yesterday but it didn't cross my mind to ask what species it is. The vendor just told me I have to immerse it in water for two minutes every other day and take it to daylight for 4 hours, 4 days a week. I'm not sure that's the best thing to do?
I'm a complete newbie but I want to learn as much as possible to keep my little one happy.
Thank you so much for taking the time to read this and for helping me.
See you!

This message has attachments images.
Please log in or register to see it.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Can someone help me ID my tree? 9 years 3 months ago #14260

• Orlando
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Thanks received: 151
It's a juniperus that looks like a Squamata but I'm not 100% sure.
I would Remove most of the moss,you can't see if it's in need of water.
And Not every other day.i give my juniperus water when the first 10mm to15mm of the top soil is dry. and it will die indoors,eventually.

Cheers

Can someone help me ID my tree? 9 years 3 months ago #14261

• Auk
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 1791

Hi all! I just bought it yesterday but it didn't cross my mind to ask what species it is

Get the poor thing out of that pot and plant it in your garden. This has got absolutely nothing to do with bonsai.

The vendor just told me I have to immerse it in water for two minutes every other day and take it to daylight for 4 hours, 4 days a week. I'm not sure that's the best thing to do?

If your plan is to have a brown dead tree in a few weeks, that certainly will do.

Last edit: Post by Auk.

Can someone help me ID my tree? 9 years 3 months ago #14262

• bob
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 175
Your tree is a typical commercialized "bonsai" sorry to say. Auk is right, plant it in your garden and in the meantime learn and research about bonsai on this website or bonsai4me or even better join a club and learn! ;)

Bonsai are trees in pots which need special characteristics to be clled bonsai. For example it must have a good ramified branch structure and a good nebari with taper. But i can advise to buy any old nursery plant on offer maybe and practice care techniques.
The following user(s) said Thank You: marthz

Can someone help me ID my tree? 9 years 3 months ago #14263

• Auk
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member

Your tree is a typical commercialized "bonsai"

I would not even call it that, or anything else with the word bonsai in it.
It's not a commercialized bonsai. It's nothing. Just a very young juniper cutting in a pot.
This is even worse than a mallsai - such trees at least have had some shaping and training. This one hasn't.

Bonsai are trees in pots which need special characteristics to be clled bonsai. For example it must have a good ramified branch structure and a good nebari with taper. But i can advise to buy any old nursery plant on offer maybe and practice care techniques.

I think that people who buy this know nothing about bonsai and are not really interested in the art. Giving them advise seems rather useless.
The following user(s) said Thank You: bob

Can someone help me ID my tree? 9 years 3 months ago #14264

• bob
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
We all start with nothing at nothing. So please, try it out and see how goes. Marthz most likely did not know what bonsai looked like. If you really want to give the art a go then try growing nursery stock, if it does not work out then that is fine, no one is to criticise. If it does work out then try and style the tree yourself with a club or just try yourself. If you do manage to like this art, it is not whether you are good at it, i am sure you will be but just have fun doing it.

Ps sorry about the thank you auk, keep on pressing it by accident.

If anything, please note this is not bonsai what you have there, bonsai are far from that and are a product of art and passion not the lust for money.

Last edit: Post by bob.

Can someone help me ID my tree? 9 years 3 months ago #14265

• Judgetribe
  • Thanks received: 5
I think that people who buy this know nothing about bonsai and are not really interested in the art. Giving them advise seems rather useless.[/quote]

That seems a it harsh Auk, everyone starts on this adventure on a different path. I have learnt some very good lessons from this site due to those that pass on their skill and knowledge.

I am comfortable in the knowledge that I have a lot of sticks in pots, it's fun and I have no fear of people giving me a bit of a poke when I do post a image of my sticks.

What I do not understand is when individuals with a wealth of knowledge and skills, decide that others are not worthy due to that persons current level of knowledge on the subject.

IMHO we are all learning and we should see it as an honour to help others learn. The sharing of knowledge and information is the essence that civilisation develop and grow.

Perhaps, some like to be big fish in little ponds, but then what's the fun in that?

Good luck with your new stick in a pot Marthz

Cheers

Robbie
The following user(s) said Thank You: bob, marthz

Can someone help me ID my tree? 9 years 3 months ago #14266

• Auk
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member

I think that people who buy this know nothing about bonsai and are not really interested in the art. Giving them advise seems rather useless.

That seems a it harsh Auk, everyone starts on this adventure on a different path.

I thought I was rather mild. If someone buys this, without thinking, without knowing what they buy, not even know what species they buy, then they are not interested in the art, they've just bought a funny looking little plant.
It has got nothing to do with bonsai, and shows no interest in bonsai at all.

This tree will be dead in 2 months.

I am comfortable in the knowledge that I have a lot of sticks in pots, it's fun and I have no fear of people giving me a bit of a poke when I do post a image of my sticks.

I have my fair share of 'you never know what it may become in the future' sticks.
You are trying to grow your own trees and you are trying to learn the art. I will never ridicule your trees and your attempts to grow and learn.

I will not stop frowning upon people who impulse-buy something, don't know what it is, don't know what to do with it, and have no real interest in bonsai.

Last edit: Post by Auk.

Can someone help me ID my tree? 9 years 3 months ago #14267

• bob
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
IMHO marthz, and me, and possibly many other people just saw mallsai and gazed at it and saw the label thinking it is bonsai. Because they never learnt about it they just buy it and remember the stereotypical care. Its like starting out in any other art or hobby. You want to get involved and dont know aything about it. They have no interest in bonsai because they have not been informed of what bonsai are. But this is the place where they can be put in the right direction to at least know what real bonsai are.

Last edit: Post by bob.

Can someone help me ID my tree? 9 years 3 months ago #14268

• Auk
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member

Its like starting out in any other art or hobby.

It's like walking into an art class with your paint-by-numbers kit.

• Page: