Bonsai forum

• Page:

TOPIC:

Indoor bonsai 9 years 2 months ago #14301

• kilkenny
  • kilkenny's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thanks received: 0
Hello my name is Mirko and i have a question for you :) im new to bonsai and I have plan to buy Acer Palmatum atropurpureum im fascinated with look of that tree...my question is coz its outdoor plant is there a way to grow it indoor any way to do that...if i need some special equipment for light or watering anything...or its just outdoor three :) thank you very much...(if i have some problem in text pls forgive me this isnt my lenguage)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Indoor bonsai 9 years 2 months ago #14302

• Auk
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 1791

Hello my name is Mirko and i have a question for you :) im new to bonsai and I have plan to buy Acer Palmatum atropurpureum im fascinated with look of that tree...my question is coz its outdoor plant is there a way to grow it indoor

No, that is not possible. Indoor trees do not exist - you will not find a tree in nature that grows inside - but there are trees that can survive the climate inside. Acers cannot, they are strictly outdoor trees.
The following user(s) said Thank You: kilkenny

Indoor bonsai 9 years 2 months ago #14303

• Auk
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 1791

No, that is not possible.

I've looked up a more educated answer...:

"Acer palmatum, [...] will grow continuously for as long as two years. After a maximum period of sustained growth, a temperate climate plant will automatically go dormant no matter what the season or condition. Deciduous plants will lose their leaves [...] This is very stressful to the plant and usually fatal. It will be 100% fatal if the plant does not receive the necessary period of cold temperatures required to break the dormancy."

www.evergreengardenworks.com/dormancy.htm
The following user(s) said Thank You: kilkenny

Last edit: Post by Auk.

Indoor bonsai 9 years 2 months ago #14346

• John Lee
  • Thanks received: 2

No, that is not possible.

I've looked up a more educated answer...:

"Acer palmatum, [...] will grow continuously for as long as two years. After a maximum period of sustained growth, a temperate climate plant will automatically go dormant no matter what the season or condition. Deciduous plants will lose their leaves [...] This is very stressful to the plant and usually fatal. It will be 100% fatal if the plant does not receive the necessary period of cold temperatures required to break the dormancy."

www.evergreengardenworks.com/dormancy.htm

What the....? If you want to grow indoors, try a ficus, but even then it is tough. Japanese Maple, never.

John

Indoor bonsai 9 years 2 months ago #14349

• leatherback
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 3653

What the....? If you want to grow indoors, try a ficus, but even then it is tough. Japanese Maple, never.

John

I think that is exactly the point Auk was trying to make, but with a bit more info, for the people who say "I have had this maple/juniper/chameacyparis/... indoors for 12 months and it is healthy"

• Page: