Bonsai forum

• Page:

TOPIC:

Trees in full ground advice 9 years 2 months ago #14311

• HendrikR
  • HendrikR's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thanks received: 0
Hi,

Im a beginner in the art of bonsai and last winter I have put several young trees in full ground to fatten up their trunk. I let them grow the whole year but now I dont really know if I should just keep letting them grow or if I should prune them.

I have three trees in full ground:

1. Ginkgo biloba
2. Lork/larix
3. quercus robur (oak)

I have been trying to find answers on forums and other sites but its still not clear to me what the best approach is. Especially for the ginkgo biloba which is very sensitive to large cut wounds and doesnt make new branches on old wood very well. I'm afraid if I would just let it grow that it will have very large scars and I wont be able to make enough small branches on it later on. If I should prune them every year can you give some advice on how,where and when to prune this tree? I added a photo of the trees in an attachment.

For the larix and quercus robus I read that they respond very well to pruning and easily make new branches on old wood. So i was planning on letting them grow and aply the "cut and grow" technique, letting it grow to 2/3 of the wanted stem thickness and cut it of at 1/3 of the final tree height. Do you think this is a good idea ?

This message has attachments images.
Please log in or register to see it.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Last edit: Post by HendrikR.

Trees in full ground advice 9 years 2 months ago #14312

• m5eaygeoff
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 853
They have not had ong enough in the ground yet. The first year they just grow a bit the second they grow better then in th third yea they get going. They need at least 4 but up to 10 years would be better. You can still do some work on them, you can remove the tap root and do some root pruning. To get a thicker trunk you need to let the leader grow.

Trees in full ground advice 9 years 2 months ago #14313

• Auk
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 1791
You could try and do some research yourself, rather than expecting to get a full manual for your trees?

www.bonsaiempire.nl/forum/48-help/13881-...weken-in-volle-grond

• Page: