Bonsai forum

• Page:

TOPIC:

Resurrecting a plant bought in Chikushino, Japan 9 years 1 month ago #14502

• de Castro
  • de Castro's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thanks received: 0
Good evening everyone,
I've been living in Japan since September last year and immediately wanted to buy some plants to liven up my apartment. I saw this gorgeous plant for 600 yen but was a bit apprehensive as I didn't know how to look after it.
I was told by a somewhat hesitant shop assistant that I should to water it once a week and keep it out of direct sunlight. I took it home and all the leaves fell off a few weeks later which was a bit disconcerting, but I continued to follow her instructions. Now that we're reaching cherry blossom season in Japan, I've noticed all the other plants and trees in the neighbourhood starting to bud, but mine looks as dry and bare as ever.
Am I doing something wrong? Is there any way to resurrect this plant, whose species I don't even know? Any comments or thoughts would be gratefully received - I really don't want to lose this tiny little thing. Many thanks.

This message has attachments images.
Please log in or register to see it.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Resurrecting a plant bought in Chikushino, Japan 9 years 1 month ago #14503

• Auk
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 1791

I really don't want to lose this tiny little thing. Many thanks.

Not sure why you are asking on a bonsai forum, as this clearly isn't a bonsai?
It's almost impossible to see what kind of tree this is, without the leaves, so it's hardly possible to give any advice either except just to wait a bit longer.

Guessing it's a cherry. Did you keep it indoors?
The following user(s) said Thank You: de Castro

Last edit: Post by Auk.

Resurrecting a plant bought in Chikushino, Japan 9 years 1 month ago #14516

• de Castro
  • de Castro's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thanks received: 0
Ah, sorry; the shop assistant and my Japanese friends all call it 'bonsai' but I understand the Japanese definition is also quite broad? Either that or they - like me - don't really know what they're talking about.

Yes I do keep it indoors, on a windowsill which gets a some sunlight in the morning, but it seems to be constantly dry. If you think her suggestions were probably correct (keeping it out of direct sunlight, water once a week) I'll carry on and wait a bit longer.

Thanks again.

Resurrecting a plant bought in Chikushino, Japan 9 years 1 month ago #14518

• m5eaygeoff
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 850
Water once a week? Never water to a schedule. You water when needed, so you must check every day with a chopstick and water when it comes out dry.If it is a cherry then keeping it inside will kill it.
The following user(s) said Thank You: de Castro

• Page: