Bonsai forum

• Page:

TOPIC:

Legitimate Bonsai Nurseries 9 years 1 month ago #14618

• grannyliz
  • grannyliz's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thanks received: 0
Does anyone in the USA know the names of Legitimate Bonsai Nurseries? There are some that mass produce their plants put them in ceramic pots and sell them as Bonsai online and charge a lot for them. Some of them do not pot their plants properly. Do these nurseries have to be certified to sell Bonsai. I do not mind paying good money for the real stuff, but do not like to be ripped off. Please let me know of your experiences.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Legitimate Bonsai Nurseries 9 years 1 month ago #14619

• Auk
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 1791

Does anyone in the USA know the names of Legitimate Bonsai Nurseries? There are some that mass produce their plants put them in ceramic pots and sell them as Bonsai online and charge a lot for them. Some of them do not pot their plants properly. Do these nurseries have to be certified to sell Bonsai. I do not mind paying good money for the real stuff, but do not like to be ripped off. Please let me know of your experiences.

I have no knowledge of bonsai nurseries in the USA, but I can tell you that even reputable bonsai nurseries in the Netherlands (and probably in other countries too) sell mallsai too. Guess they need to make a living and not everyone is prepared to spend a lot of money on real good material.

I think it is important to recognize good material before you start shopping. There's no certification (as far as I'm aware), bonsai is not a trademark, any shrub in a pot can be called bonsai, unfortunately.

Isn't there a bonsai club or society in your neighbourhood? That's often the best way to find your way to good material.

Legitimate Bonsai Nurseries 9 years 1 month ago #14622

• grannyliz
  • grannyliz's Avatar Topic Author
When we retired we moved to a small town, and the closest bonsai or society is about 150 miles away. Thanks for the Internet where I get info and thanks to bonsai enthusiasts have taken the time to video "How To's" and websites like this one "Bonsai Empire" that has helped me a lot. By the way I have visited your country a few years ago and really enjoyed the visit.

Legitimate Bonsai Nurseries 9 years 1 month ago #14623

• Oscar
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thanks received: 291
The following user(s) said Thank You: leatherback

Legitimate Bonsai Nurseries 9 years 1 month ago #14665

• lavas
I bought my first bonsai a month ago from Kim's bonsai nursery in Phelan, California. Website isn't so great though.
www.kimsbonsai.com/

• Page: