Bonsai forum

First Bonsai Tree

• iHootowl
  • Offline Topic Author
  • Thanks received: 0

First Bonsai Tree was created by iHootowl

Posted 9 years 2 weeks ago #15065
I need urgent help! I got my first bonsai tree and I'm not sure if I'm caring for it correctly. I put it on the window to make sure it gets a lot of sun and it was sitting on the shelves at the store ( the store was outside, and it got a lot of sun from there ). So then, when I bought it, it came with a few dead leaves ( very little ). But now there are more of them and I'm pretty sure I'm doing something wrong ( or everything ). The top of the soil feels moist, so does that mean I won't have to water it until next week ( or until it's completely dry? ). Also, I'm confused on all the 'pruning' stuff. Would you have to buy special scissors to cut off the extra things you don't want? What if your tree is fine how it is? I'm keeping my bonsai inside my home, but it's a good 77 degrees at my house. Would this be a safe temperature to keep my tree in? Please help. What kind of tree is my bonsai? I'm really concerned about what's going to happen to my bonsai and I want it to live long. Thank you!
by iHootowl

This message has an attachment image.
Please log in or register to see it.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• leatherback
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 3654

Replied by leatherback on topic First Bonsai Tree

Posted 9 years 2 weeks ago #15067
This plant is a juniperus. It is not a bonsai yet, but just a young plant. All junipers should be outdoors at all times. They will not survived prolonged stays indoors.

As for pruning etc.. Read up a little on bonsai, and the general idea behind them. I would say this plant will have a few years of growing ahead of it before I would prune anything.
by leatherback
The following user(s) said Thank You: iHootowl

• iHootowl
  • Offline Topic Author
  • Thanks received: 0

Replied by iHootowl on topic First Bonsai Tree

Posted 9 years 2 weeks ago #15084
Thank you! I will try to keep it outside, but for now I'll use the brightest window in my home. It's been really cloudy all this week and really windy. I understand the plant must live outdoors for survival, but is it safe to temporarily place my plant on the opened window? Thanks so much!!
by iHootowl

• leatherback
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 3654

Replied by leatherback on topic First Bonsai Tree

Posted 9 years 2 weeks ago #15086
Why not just put it ouside?
by leatherback

• bob
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 175

Replied by bob on topic First Bonsai Tree

Posted 9 years 2 weeks ago #15088
There is more to climate out-side other than light levels (in which the juniper can put up with if it is cloudy). Things like humidity levels effect the tree, if it is indoors, than it is too dry and the foliage will dry out.
by bob
The following user(s) said Thank You: iHootowl