Bonsai forum

• Page:

TOPIC:

How to take this pyracantha to the next level ? 9 years 1 week ago #15116

• xref
  • xref's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thanks received: 1
Hello

I got this nice Pyracantha, i like it, but .. for some reason its do not give me the natural looking that real big old trees shows.

been searching every where on internet looking for styles that can be implemented on this one.
and am really not sure yet which to pick and how to be done perfectly, specially that i might not get growth from where i want, so far all new growth are coming from the top of the trunk between all main branches and wishing when i remove all new growth after flowering time i force more lower growth, and i must before that time choose a style can fit with the current structure.

the upper side, is it too gigantic and needs hard pruning it back lets say 20-25% of the current diameter?

an updated picture of the pyracantha, (will provide a better picture when i get back to home later today).

This message has attachments images.
Please log in or register to see it.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Last edit: Post by xref.

How to take this pyracantha to the next level ? 9 years 1 week ago #15119

• Auk
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 1791
Very nice tree - but there's something wrong with it indeed:
The trunk bends to the right, while the 'weight' of the foliage is on the left.
This causes the tree to look out of balance. Probably that is why this tree looks a bit unnatural.

Still, it's a very nice tree with potential.

I would think out the branches on the left and shorten them a bit.
The branches on the right should grow longer.

I'll try and make a virtual this evening.

(note that my comments are based on the first photo only)
The following user(s) said Thank You: xref

How to take this pyracantha to the next level ? 9 years 1 week ago #15120

• Auk
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
On second thought (and upon closer look), I'm not sure where that trunk is going, inside the canopy.

I'll wait for the new photos :)

Last edit: Post by Auk.

How to take this pyracantha to the next level ? 9 years 1 week ago #15122

• alainleon1983
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 185

been searching every where on internet looking for styles that can be implemented on this one.
and am really not sure yet which to pick and how to be done perfectly, specially that i might not get growth from where i want, so far all new growth are coming from the top of the trunk between all main branches and wishing when i remove all new growth after flowering time i force more lower growth, and i must before that time choose a style can fit with the current structure.

Hi there xref,

Well I have a Pyracantha myself and is my understanding that they will adapt very well to a few styles, such as: informal upright, multiple trunks and specially semi-cascade and cascade. This last two are very advisable since Pyracanthas have a tendency to bushy growth. So, if you, somehow can manage to let a long branch to grow you might be heading to the right path.

As a humble example I´m leaving you here a previous thread on this forum regarding my Pyracantha and I´m also posting an update as to show how is looking today. In this small sample of evolution, the thread is from last September and these pictures I´m presenting here I took them this morning. Hope you like it.

Previous Thread: www.bonsaiempire.com/forum/help-me/7121-...ntha-species?start=0

Alain

How to take this pyracantha to the next level ? 9 years 1 week ago #15133

• xref
Hello

Please see the attached pictures

Thanks Alain, will check your reply in details later, currently in the airport.

How to take this pyracantha to the next level ? 9 years 1 week ago #15134

• xref
More pictures

How to take this pyracantha to the next level ? 9 years 1 week ago #15135

• xref
For some reason those pictures got rotated 90 degrees when they wasnt on my mobile, dont know why ...

How to take this pyracantha to the next level ? 9 years 1 week ago #15151

• Auk
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
That's fine, I can rotate them in my graphics program. I 'm not having much success creating a virtual, sorry...
I'll try and explain:

- You have two branches, first two from the bottom, on the left side, that come from the same point. I'd try and remove one of them.
- I'd shorten the branches on the left side and let the branches on the right side grow and get longer
- You can try and remove some of the higher branches to create a bit more open space.
- You could try and lower the first branch on the right. I would not wire it, but use a guy wire and protect the bark
- You definately should choose another pot
- When next time repot the tree, you might want to try how it looks when you tilt it a bit more to the right
- The root base looks quite nice already. You could try if you can pot it a bit higher, to show more of the roots.

This is still based on what I see from the first photo; on the other photos the branches look different, so do not take what I write for granted.

Last edit: Post by Auk.

How to take this pyracantha to the next level ? 9 years 3 days ago #15320

• xref

Hi there xref,

Well I have a Pyracantha myself and is my understanding that they will adapt very well to a few styles, such as: informal upright, multiple trunks and specially semi-cascade and cascade. This last two are very advisable since Pyracanthas have a tendency to bushy growth. So, if you, somehow can manage to let a long branch to grow you might be heading to the right path.

As a humble example I´m leaving you here a previous thread on this forum regarding my Pyracantha and I´m also posting an update as to show how is looking today. In this small sample of evolution, the thread is from last September and these pictures I´m presenting here I took them this morning. Hope you like it.

Previous Thread: www.bonsaiempire.com/forum/help-me/7121-...ntha-species?start=0

Alain

Hello

sorry I been in a short vacation.

I appreciate the examples and the style you are recommending, but am really not how to take mine from its current state to a cascade specially with huge trunk as this, diameter 8 cm, over 60-65 cm high over the pot.

but surely ill work on getting a cascade with my next firethorn plant, around a 1 year old, buying it this coming weekend.

How to take this pyracantha to the next level ? 9 years 3 days ago #15321

• alainleon1983
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 185

I appreciate the examples and the style you are recommending, but am really not how to take mine from its current state to a cascade specially with huge trunk as this, diameter 8 cm, over 60-65 cm high over the pot.

Hello Xref,

Sure, no problem, it was just a suggestion and you know your trees better than any of us. Just one thing though... A trunk of 8 cms in diameter with a height of 60-65 cms can hardly be considered as a huge trunk :whistle: . Also, the proportion you might want to look for is the 1:6 rule (That is; the tree should be approximately 6 times higher than the diameter of its trunk). That rule is not written is stone, but it is a proportion that many consider suitable and aesthetically pleasant. Hope that helps.

Alain

Last edit: Post by alainleon1983.
  • Page: